11.Keep a level head

Terror.

Bleak, inescapable, sinister.

I gag on the blood between her teeth, staining her pale skin. My vision swam and I fought to stay upright. I was thankful to be on four legs instead of two. The ground inviting my face to meet it. My wolf had to take my weight as I receded backwards, hiding.

I watched the battle from her eyes, I made no sound or warning, I was afraid I would distract her. My fear was unfounded, nothing could have seperated Akela from her prey.

I was right. She was the avenging dark angel.

She would kill us all.

The monster I saw ripping apart the rogues couldn't have been my mate. Couldn't have been the girl who was too nervous to hold my hand. Couldn't have been the girl who played with blocks on the floor with Ryan. Couldn't have been the girl who smiled only for me.

Poison seeping across my soul, it was black and inky, consuming the light. The connection we had built, crumbled away.

Whatever she had unleashed on the rogues, it was evil.

I turned away, I couldn't keep looking at that thing that had so easily dismembered any life in her way. The moment of her ripping away a leg from its socket, the way the flesh moved, exposed muscle...

I felt faint again.

I'd never heard her laugh before, and now it would haunt me, it rang in the air like nails on a chalk board. I ran and no one followed, I willed them to stay away. Only Akela could push past it, and she did. The wolf inside me was confused, he was made to protect his mate, but his mate didn't need it, didn't need us.

I need nothing and no one.

Over and over again, a elegy of her words when we met, when she had razors in her pockets.

I ran, ran as fast as I could away. I knew she would follow, I ran until we were away from the death smell of the clearing, right to a creek. I stopped and waited, unable to look at the her blood caked skin. She continued to the creek and began to wash away the traces of the massacre. When she was done, she slipped a shirt over her head and came towards me.

She held black shorts in her hand, it reminded me of the night we met. I wished I could go back to that time, before I knew what her hands and fangs could do.

I phase back, I don't look at her until my shorts are up. If I saw her in nothing but a shirt while I was naked, the bond would overcome me. Even now, the trendles are curling around me and smoking my lungs. The urge to hold her close so strong my hands stung.

"What the hell was that?" My voice is raw, I sound broken.

"Logan, I..." she trails off, running her fingers through the top of her soaked hair. She takes a step forward and I move away, I want her no where near me.

She swallows, and rights herself somewhat, straightening her back. Gone is her soft expression, looking at me in hope. Now she looks like a fighter, the wild animal that came from the woods before, detached. I shove her emotions and thoughts away, I don't want to know them.

"What are you exactly? When you killed them you... you enjoyed it. You were happy! It made you happy! How is that possible, how was it so easy?"

Sagitta. An arrow. I didn't see an arrow, I saw a sledgehammer.

Shes breathing hard, "I-I'm not a wolf Logan. What do you mean?" She sounds so small.