23. Peace is tedious

I press backwards into Leela, who stumbles as I force her steps. Monroe looks morosely to us, then to Logan with an unfathomable plea. For what I don't know, and I have no time to consider it. Whatever connection in Australia they had is nothing now. Dying in the face of deeper bonds.

Honos steps out from the house and makes easy strides toward us. My throat makes wild sounds of protest. I try to control the urge I have to take Leela and hide her away, this maternal feeling completely new to me. I would fight for this female, die to protect this female. She is pack.

"How excellent that my Beta found his mate!" Honos deliver the line with thrill, like a gift that came unexpectedly. I push further backwards and sheathe my fangs as he walks to us, Monroe in a daze behind him. How far Logan will go to defend us weighs on me, he may allow the fight to go to me alone. I prepare for flight, calculating how far I can drag Leela before we are caught.

Logan steps in front of us, and I feel the power pouring off his back in a shelter. My fears answered with relief. One more set of claws between Leela and them. The combined scents of the Alphas makes my mouth water as I strain to hold Leela up from behind, she is growing limp.

Pressure buildings in my chest and my eyes prick. How deep did a bond run? Enough to change loyalty? I was begging my mate to invite a spy to his table, a traitor into the pack. I was a worse monster than even my mate had thought. I cannot betray my female, and instead I betray the bond.

Logan's voice is bleak. "Very exciting. A ranked female among the pack, you should be very proud."

Leela moans.

"Oh I am!" Honos is grinning in his fortune, a hard expression to hate. He is almost as beautiful as my Adonis, he is difficult not to admire. "I'm sure he will have a place among you."

The words slide across the air with double meaning. He wants Monroe to keep his status, it will challenge Reed and Trevor. I rumble and Honos finds my eyes from around Logan's arm. His expression changes to something more considerate.

"But of course I would allow that choice to be up to the Luna." He bows his head to me slightly, Logan growls. Monroe glances up from his dazed stupor to look at his Alpha in confusion. Honos puts his hands on Monroe's shoulders and looks at him the way one examines a cliff to be scaled.

"Don't worry beta. You've no need to worry about that now. We should be celebrating! A new union, a mate found." He cuts his eyes into mine and I shudder. "A rarity."

"Let us eat then." It's Saturn, peeking out from the house. I am too upset to look at him, afraid to meet his disappointment. He will know soon, Logan will tell him I'm sure. That I have once again proven myself a dangerous Luna.

"I would like time with my female Alpha." I say, edging backwards again, Leela wobbling with me

"Yes." Honos answers before Saturn, I sense the effect it has on Logan. He adjusts his shoulders, rolling the muscles that strain to become other. I don't try to rectify the overstep, instead I walk with Leela hooked to my arm. She grasps it like a castaway to land, I push us towards the back of the pack house.

I drag her up the stairs and past the mystified faces. I yank my door open and push her inside to see Reed just behind us.

"Wha-" I snarl viciously before he can ask and shut the door. He doesn't try to enter, I hear him step away mumbling about the time of the month.

Leela is becoming hysterical, and I'm not equipped for this. There are no words I can say, no sweet sounds to make that will ease her fear. She sits on the bed, her tall body crumpling forward as she wails to herself.