24. Hold thy humility

We stand in the formation.

I'm watching Honos' crew out of my periphery, he flashes smiles at me before looking at Akela, who reddens when she notices him.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

It's times like this that really annoy me. My dad is still in his place, and Honos has taken his Alpha position. It makes me look weaker, juvenile. But the time isn't right to take my place. So I stand behind the line, at least I'm tall enough to see over everyone.

Lightning streaks across the evening sky. The the light is minimal from the sun long covered by blackened clouds as it slips further and further down the sky. Akela is a mirror reflecting the flashes above, bright and unmistakable. She could never hide among the humans, she is too ethereal.

I can feel the moment that Alpha Waldeck steps out of his vehicle that there's going to be trouble. He is already sizing up Akela between the gaps, as soon as he opens the back seat for Cara to step out.

I hope Reed remembers to wipe his drool.

Cara was really pretty, but she was no Akela. I used to think she was the most gorgeous wolf I'd ever seen until my mate. She was only an inch taller than Akela, both of them petite. Her chinese features were by every account perfect, but she wasn't the avenging archangel.

I could practically hear Reed slobbering.

A gasp broke from our formation, but not from the direction I expected. I turn my head to the back of Trevor's head, who's body shakes for a second before going still. A picture of control with no indication of anything out of the ordinary. He crosses his hands behind him, I see the tips of his fingers waver.

Oh shit.

Not. Good.

Not. Good.

Akela!

She ignores me. Which I probably deserve. I left her before she woke up, and I think it may have ticked her off. But then again she's rarely in a good mood.

The Alpha and his betas walk to us with fake smiles, each of them glancing over us only to try and find Akela behind the line.

"Welcome brothers." My dad says with some genuine enthusiasm. The two of them had been friends for years. I hope Akela frying Cara over a spit wouldn't put a damper on things. They begin the usual pleasantries while I'm practically screaming at Akela.

Akela remember you can't kill her!

I said I would not Howler.

No matter what!

You care much for your trysts.

My head is filled with a growl that doesn't sound wolf, but more feline. It worries me, Akela usually stays as wolf as possible. Something is under her skin beside me.

Waldeck smiles, but it looks more like a show of fang than anything. "And this would be the famous Akela."

Akela steps forward graceful and without baring her throat. Waldeck narrows his eyes, he's trying to use his will to push her into submission.

Akela gives him a smile that would've made Hannibal Lector proud.

"Alpha Waldeck." She greets, I internally cringe. I rush forward, placing Trevor behind me who slips back without complaint.

"Nice to see you again Alpha Waldeck." I say with fake kindness. He recovers and smiles to me.

"Hello Alpha Solis. Taking your time with your ascension?"