25. Night is the best cover

I gripped the duvet in wait.

Honos is just outside the door to the green bedroom. Outside my den.

Logan was chasing after a distraught Reed, sickened by the news that Cara was Trevor's mate. I didn't know what to make of that myself. Cara submitted to me as a wolf, but her skin side would not be so accepting of her new circumstances. She had been weak as Trevor took her into his arms, but her growl had shaken her bloody body. He took her to his own room, Saturn went on a run with his bitter brother and Adrean. I was alone, still cold from the rain.

His knuckles rapped against the wood door, I stood to open it slowly. He was about to knock again when I turned the cold handle. My hand aches with the pain of chill. He smilies down at me softly, tenderly. He has changed into dry clothes, my own wet ones seeming out of place.

"Akela. I wanted to see how you were feeling." He steps into the space and I step backwards in response. I don't want him to stand so close.

"I am well."

"I think you're better than well." He chuckles gently and looks around the room. "Your fighting is amazing. No wonder the pack is so formidable now, their Luna is a warrior.'

"Thank you."

I wait for him to dismiss himself but instead he steps around, and softly begins to ghost his fingers on the surfaces of the room. The dresser, then the bed, the wet spot where I had been sitting.

"You came to ask me something." The words are not sharp, but blunt. I was almost sure that he was being rude in some way, but I was still too rusty to know how.

He turns with a crooked grin. "You sure have a funny way of asking questions."

"I've been told that."

"Yes there was something I wanted to ask." The grin fades, he starts slow steps my direction. I watch him cautiously, I will not let him touch me.

"Logan tried to replace you."

My stomach drops like I've fallen from a tree. I nod.

He shakes his head, his eyes reflect the sadness I try to push away. The tomb inside my body echoes dully.

"Why?"

I gulp. "I've killed many wolves, taken many lives."

"That's all? Alphas have to do that all the time."

I can't hide my grimace. "I enjoy battle too much. It worries him. Lunas are not supposed to be so...dark." I hate myself for being so honest, but it feels good to tell him--- an outsider.

"You are far from evil." His eyebrows raise. "If anything you're someone to be admired. A Luna who can stand beside her soldiers and the Alpha in war instead of hiding. I guess that isn't enough for him."

The space between us is closing, I take a step towards the door. The bond slithers around my neck, whispering in my ear. Not enough. Never enough.

"My cousin is pretty immature."

I raise my lip slightly and he backpedals. "I just mean he can't see what he has, he's never been one to get his hands dirty so the moon gave him a mate that could. He should be happy about it, not treating you like an obligation or a regret."

Obligation. Regret.

I don't respond. I don't want to think about Honos' opinion. I don't want to admit I think the same things.

"Sorry. I suppose I'm just jealous." He laughs airily, running his hand on the bed. It brings me up short.

"Jealous of my dirty hands?"