34. There are many paths to wander

If there are typos I apologize! I'll fix as I find!

Thank you for all the support, I'll keep writing for those that would still like to read!

My mate and I face the challenge ring. The air is choked by the crowd of observers, the press of their mass is agitating, the tips of my teeth are exposed slightly, its enough to buy us a few feet of space and not much more. The air is fouled, they are not used to such conflict among themselves, nothing that would lead to blood.

Reed is like juvenile, all too excited to prove himself. His muscles roll under his skin, he is even larger than when I first saw him. Even as he stands in his prime, it's the rage boiling off his body that holds my attention. I wonder how long he has bitten his tongue, swallowed himself in order to maintain his place as the third because of their petty human traditions. Places should never have been passed down to begin with, they belonged to whoever was strong enough to earn them. He paces, waiting.

Trevor seems to bear a great weight as he stands to the side of the ring, his shoulders and gaze downwards. I do not need to see his eyes to know what his thoughts are, the decisions he is making as he examines the dirt. He has already lost against Reed, he knows it. 

Monroe is looking at his own mate, they whisper to each other quickly. Leela is swallowing, tense. She looks at her mate and then to me. I can hear the plea there, to not allow her mate to die. I give her a small nod, Logan would never allow it.

The affluence of it all makes me feel weary suddenly. My vision spots at the corners, blood leaving my face. I feel myself lean Logan's direction, the bond pulling at us like a tightening seam. I grip his arm to lean my weight against him as I continue try to stay standing. I grit my teeth against myself. I will not fold in front of the pack.

Logan probes in my head, his concern rises up like a tide.

What's wrong? Are you okay?

His arm slides around me and takes some of my weight so I face his chest. He doesn't draw attention to us, instead lowers his lips to the top of my head. To the outside we may even look like we are embracing. I want to pay more attention to the way I am being held, but I can't find it in me.

I try to shake away the feeling, my vision returns slowly to normal. I still feel strange, an exhaustion I wasn't aware of before. A few days ago I would have shoved away from him, but instead I take deep breaths of his spring smell. It wraps me like a blanket, makes me feel stronger.

I am feeling tired. It will pass. I will rest when the fight is over.

I think he will argue with me but he doesn't. Alright. But as soon as it's done go lay down.

I slowly turn with his arm still looped around me. I feel supported, my back protected by him. He will not let me fall.

Trevor enter the ring while Monroe waits and watches. I hadn't thought of how the wolves would a hold a challenge like this one. In the wild both challengers would take Reed at once, but it seems that they would take turns. How polite.

Reed is fierce in his launches, he charges over and over. Trevor is lithe enough to dodge just past his hands, he rolls away just in time to escape a fist to the face. It occurs to me that Reed may be trying to more than win the fight, but actually hurt Trevor.

Trevor is the first to make contact, sweeping Reeds legs and leaping away. In the second that Reed is on the ground Trevor shows mercy, and does not capitalize on his chance.