22. Control is easily lost

I'm out of control.

It's not just the wolf inside, who's clawing his way to the surface to defend his mate and pack. It's me too, I'm out of control.

Honos is a better actor than I am, I can see through his composure; if only because we've been rivals so long. But I can see the microscopic holes in his skin, open for fur to burst through. The way he looks at Akela grates on me, like she bewitched him instantly. It makes the wolf inside wild with his fury. No one else should look at her that way, even if I can't.

I look at my uncle with barely concealed hostility. He's never directly threatened me, though his dislike of his brother is so obvious that it hedges the crowd away and makes Reed grin ominously. He was too eager to fight. Normally Alphas attract wolves, but all four of us together begin to repel. Wolves are so rarely equals, even among the unranked there is a pecking order. Inside each of the packs loyal to their own sides you can see the volatility, their need to understand who is the Alpha.

Trevor steps forward, his need to diffuse a situation winning out over his duty to stay at the side of his current Alpha. "Yes Caelus, I'm sure it will be. May I offer you and your pack something to eat? We've made quite the feast." His smile is too perfect, too practiced. He's just as tense as the rest of us.

My uncle smiles, an evil version of my father right down to the crinkles around his forehead and eyes. "Yes absolutely. Then Solis can explain his newly formed opinions on Alpha leadership."

I recover first from the challenge before some else can try to smooth the words away. "I never insulted anyone's leadership. I only said that we each have a common issue that would be better solved with transparency."

Everyone seems to balk but Akela, who looks unsurprised as usual. Either she knew from reading my mind that I'd been prepared, or she had really expected me to respond so well. I didn't linger on it.

Honos raises a thick eyebrow. "Just as my Beta told me. I must say I admire your candor for a wolf not yet in his place."

Before I can lunge Akela stands in front of me. I can't tell if it is to keep me back or to defend. "He is not yet. But I am."

The words are delivered perfectly, powerful and unchallenging. No one contradicts her. I send a glance to my step mother, who's head is slightly bowed. She looks at me with a sad ghost of a smile, like she's reliving a memory.

Honos beams, his face lit with excitement that fills me with sinking suspicion. "I was unaware that I was standing before a new Luna. I offer my congratulations. I had not heard of your early ascension."

Akela smiles at him in her way and my chest stabs painfully. "I am not one to kneel."

His smile grows and I can see something dark in his eyes. A plan or idea piecing itself together. I want to hide Akela away from him where she can't be found. I want to rip him away from her. I want him dead.

"Yes, I can see it would take the truest of Alphas to make you kneel before him."

I'm being pulled backwards so fast that I don't even have time to reach out my claws to Honos. Reed has a hand on my throat and he's dragging my half beast form away.

"You have to calm down. You knew this would happen." He says, but I can't concentrate on the words. Yes I knew, but the implication, her reaction... Reed slams a hand over my spitting roar to muffle the sound.

He shoves me through a door, though I'm still backpedaling. He turned a corner at some point, I can't see them, can't see my mate.

"I-I need-" I try to speak around the fangs as my back hits a cold wood floor. "Akela." I gasp. The wolf in me was digging deep inside, trying to shred his way forward. It was painful to be at odds, especially when we both sensed the threat. Both wanted to protect what was ours.