a not so fatherly gesture

I stare at my tightly clasped hands that rest on the dark wood table. In the corner of my vision, I can see Arthur, sitting equally as tense as me. My father is late once again, filling me with countless awful thoughts about his whereabouts. The holographic figures of the other agents stir silently at the end of the table, making the sad and tense silence all the more worse. I take my glasses off and put my head in my hands, trying not to let the stress overwhelm me. A few deep breaths later I lift my head up again, as my father walks into the room silently.

"Arthur." He nods, as he slides into his seat.

"Galahad."

I glare pointedly at my father and he stares at me back, not fazed by my rage-filled look. He'll be getting a scolding from me later on, whether he likes it or not. He can't just rock up late whenever he wants, especially after hearing news like this, when we're already feeling a lot of emotions.

Arthur pours my father a glass of something strong I've never been offered, regardless of my age, and looks at him sternly.

"The others were beginning to wonder if we were going to have a double toast."

My father raises his eyebrows but says nothing.

"Gentlemen, I'm thankful to say it's been seventeen years since we last had occasion to use this decanter. Lancelot was an outstanding agent, and a true Kingsman. He will be sorely missed." He raises his glass solemnly. "To Lancelot."

I raise my water and the others raise their drinks. "To Lancelot."

Arthur places his drink down with a large degree of care, choosing his next words carefully.

"I intend to start the selection process for Lancelot's replacement tomorrow. I want each of you to propose a candidate, and have them report to UK HQ no later than 9 p.m. GMT. Thank you."

The others take their glasses off, leaving the three of us to sit alone. 

Arthur turns to me. "Y/N you won't be needing to give us a candidate, you will work with Merlin for the training and testing of the recruits."

"Why can't I propose a candidate?" I lean forward, glaring at him. "Give me one good reason why."

"Y/N..." My father warns.

I ignore him and stare at Arthur expectantly. 

"Just do as I say Y/N."

I scoff, leaning back in my chair with my arms crossed but say nothing. It's no good arguing with him, my father would always back him up anyway.

The door opens and Merlin stands in the threshold.

"Merlin." Arthur says warmly. "Come in."

Merlin walks in, his footsteps light, and winks at me. He doesn't take a seat, instead choosing to consult his tablet. He pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose with a deft finger and waits for Arthur to fill us in.

"Lancelot was investigating a group of mercenaries, who were experimenting with biological weaponry."

Merlin gestures to the screen. "Glasses, everyone, please."

Mine are already on, so I can see the screen before my father. A number of statistics and photographs cover it. These photographs would be upsetting in anyone else's company, but I've seen much worse.

"Uganda, 2012." Merlin says, pointing at the screen. "Synthetic cathinones. They put it in the water supply of a guerrilla army base. Rage, cannibalism, multiple fatalities."

With a swipe of his tablet, the screen changes, showing a similar scene.

"Chechnya, 2013. Insurgents turned on one another. Indisputably, the work of our mercenaries, but no trace of any chemicals of any kind."