the first test

"In you go Eggsy. Good luck." Harry says, as Eggsy pushes the doors open and enters the recruits bedroom. 

I stare at my father expectantly, but he says nothing. Sighing heavily, I go to push the doors open myself but he grabs my wrist to stop me. 

"What?" 

I'm tired, and I'm embarrassed about knocking into a new recruit in front of him. I don't have the mental capacity to deal with him right now if the only thing he is going to say is that I shouldn't have been running, or that I can't tell him off for being late. 

He looks as if he has a lot on his mind, but I don't really care. 

"Well?" I demand, my arms crossed. 

"I have business to attend to now, I'll see you later on." 

I watch as he walks away, biting the inside of my cheek hard enough to draw blood. I lick my lips and push the door open before I can think too hard. 

A group of mostly boys stands before me. I see Eggsy awkwardly shifting his weight between his feet every few seconds. He looks curious, and he keeps staring around the room, even though no one else does. 

"Atkins!" Merlin greets me, using my code name, waving me over. I do my best to smile at the newcomers and focus on my job. 

Merlin puts a hand on my shoulder. "Everyone this is Atkins, an agent here at Kingsman. She will be helping me with your training and subsequent testing."

I should say something here, Merlin is probably expecting me to greet them. Instead, I smile thinly and nod. One of the boys standing at the back snickers to his friend, but after a pointed glare from me he quickly looks away and his smirk vanishes. Eggsy's eyes meet mine, and he smiles at me. That boy really does try, doesn't he? I nod in his direction slightly but don't give him the satisfaction of a smile. Not yet. 

And thank God he doesn't know I'm Harry's daughter. 

Merlin takes a step forward and starts talking. "You are about to embark, on what is probably the most dangerous job interview in the world. One of you, and only one of you, will become the next Lancelot."

He picks up a body bag that sits on the end of someone's bed. "Can anybody tell me what this is?" 

The boy who snickered at me speaks up. "A body bag, sir."

I roll my eyes. Of course, he shows Merlin respect, even though we're both his superior. 

"Correct, Charlie isn't it?" Merlin says. 

"Yes sir." Charlie says smugly. 

Merlin tosses the bag to Charlie. "Good. In a moment, you will each collect a body bag. You will write your name on that bag. You will write the details of your next of kin on that bag. This represents your acknowledgement of the risks that you are about to face, as well as your agreement to strict confidentiality. Which, incidentally, if you break, will result in you and your next of kin being in that bag. Is that understood?" 

I relish the looks of confusion and fear that crosses their faces. Eggsy looks at me, wide-eyed and for the first time, I smirk at him. 

"Fall out." 

Merlin and I leave, shutting the door behind us. I finally let go of my game face and exhale deeply, leaning against the wall. 

"You alright Y/N?" Merlin asks, concerned. 

I nod, waving him away. "I'm fine, just going through another rough patch with Harry." 

"Ahh." Merlin nods solemnly. "Sorry to hear that. I trust you'll be alright though?"