mood swings and train tracks

I kick the door open forcefully, and it crashes into the wall on the other side. Inside the room, three startled faces stare back at me. I grin at them, and take a seat opposite where they were peacefully watching the telly. Merlin walks in behind me quietly and closes the door softly, glancing at me sternly. 

This whole experience has changed our relationship as a team quite a bit. Merlin before was a friend, albeit a distant and occasionally cold one. Now he seems to have graduated to another father figure, or perhaps an older brother. He is the responsible one, I am wild and have a very reckless behaviour. Where his words are mostly controlled and carefully selected, mine are whatever comes to mind, and I let me emotions get the better of me easily. He doesn't scold me like an older brother or a father would do, but one stern glance from him and I'm back in line, at least for a moment. 

At Merlin's more professional arrival the three stand to attention, then promptly sit down at his dismissal. 

"You thought we were done for the day, huh? Well, we're not." He says.

I lean forward and pass each of them the envelopes I held. Roxy frowns, looking at me for a change. "A party?"

"Tonight, in London." I nod, crossing my legs. 

Charlie holds up a photograph of a girl. "And who's this?" 

"Your target. Your mission is to use your NLP training to win over the individual in the photograph in your envelope. And when I say "win over," I do mean in the biblical sense."

Merlin surveys their reactions, which seem to be overly confident if you ask me, especially considering who their target is. 

"Easy." Eggsy says with a smirk at Charlie. "Posh girls love a bit of rough."

"We'll see about that, yeah?" Charlie retorts. 

Roxy flips over her photograph to reveal the same girl again, and says smugly: "We certainly will."

"You've an hour to get ready, be at the location on the envelope by then. The rest of your instructions are inside it." I say, getting to my feet and leaving without a second glance. I can hear Merlin following close behind. 

"Y/N we ought to have a word I reckon." He says, catching up to be walking directly beside me, our steps in sync. 

"Yeah?" 

We reach the end of the hallway and I lean against the up button, turning to face him. I can see my reflection in his glasses, but I'm not pleased with what I see so I look away. My hair is disheveled and my suit is crumpled. That's probably what Merlin is going to talk to me about. My appearance is not good enough and needs to be remedied. 

After all, I am a Kingsman.

He frowns, but his words aren't harsh. "Y/N I'm worried about you."

The doors ping open and we walk inside, I push the close button hastily. It's never been like Merlin to be worried for a fellow agent, no matter who the agent is. Which is why his concern is strange. 

"Why are you worried?" I ask, though still not meeting his eye. "I haven't done something wrong have I?"

I'm giving him the perfect opportunity to tell me what I've done, without having to go ahead and say it himself. He should be grateful, but his frown only deepens, and his eyebrows pinch closer together. 

He sighs heavily. "You haven't done anything. But..."

More hesitation, I scowl at my feet in frustration. I don't have the guts to say what I'm thinking, but goddammit his vagueness is so disturbing. What on earth has him so tongue-tied?