the expendable

"I'll say it one more time for those of you who weren't listening," I shout over the sound of the plane's engine. "jump out, and land in the target. If you don't make it into the target you go home. It's as simple as that. Am I understood?"

The last six recruits nod, each of them avoiding my gaze. Roxy seems to be having a panic attack, and I observe as Eggsy tries to calm her down, failing. 

I feel bad for Roxy, I really do. But unless she passes this test she'll be going home. Conquering her fear of heights is going to be huge for her if she's going to be the new Lancelot. It's inescapable. I try giving her a reassuring smile but that seems to stress her out even more. Did it even look reassuring or was it just alarming?

The doors open at the end of the cabin, and the rush of air almost knocks everyone out of their seats. 

I tighten my seatbelt and point out the hole, shouting. "Go go go!"

Charlie and co. push past Eggsy and Roxy, jumping out without hesitation. As much as I hate his attitude, I'm impressed with his lack of fear. That kid doesn't think, he just acts. Eggsy looks about to jump, but Roxy stops him. I can't hear what they say but I unbuckle my belt and carefully approach them, gripping the top of a chair next to them. 

"Roxy?" I call, and she stares at me with big eyes. "You'll be okay. No matter what happens, you will be okay. I checked those parachutes myself at least ten times, you'll be fine."

I hesitate, before adding. "No matter what Merlin says, you will be fine."

She nods, and, grabbing Eggsy's hand, they jump out into the clouds. The doors shut, and I almost fall over from the lack of air force. The plane speeds away, headed back for Kingsman. 

It's going to be about ten minutes until we land, by then the recruits will have landed, successfully or not. I sit back down, taking my tablet out from the compartment I tucked it in before we took off. 

I can see what Merlin sees back down on the ground. The symbols of the recruits on my screen, rapidly falling down to the earth. 

I tap my glasses. "They've jumped safely, it's up to you now."

Merlin's voice sounds in my ear. "Excellent, listen in and take any notes of importance."

He activates my glasses, and I can hear the excited whoops from the trainees as they hurtle towards the ground.  Merlin has a smirk in his voice when he addresses them a few moments later. 

"My, my, you're all very cheerful. Did you really think it was gonna be that straightforward? Any idiot can read a heads-up display. A Kingsman agent needs to be able to solve problems under pressure. Like what to do when one of your group has no parachute."

A series of cursing follows that is quite, might I add, loud, in my ear, and I chuckle. The agents in training descend into full-blown panic, whilst descending to the ground faster and faster, the wind carrying them down. 

If you've ever been skydiving, you would understand the fear that comes before you jump, the adrenaline that courses through your veins, followed quickly by the relief when you remember you have a parachute. In this case, however, their relief is quickly followed by sheer panic.

I can hear Roxy's hyperventilation in my ear as if she is right next to me. 

"What do we do?" One of the boys shouts fearfully, looking to Merlin for guidance that I know he won't give. 

"I told you. Aim for the target, come in under the radar. And I hope not to be scraping one of you up. But if I do have to, and you're inside the target, please know I'll be very impressed."