2

They say that the North makes a man hard. He becomes impervious to cold that snow and cold winds but what about the coldness you encounter in the warm halls of your father's house? What about the blood freezing stares that dares you to make a mistake? How everyone believes you to be a stain on otherwise pristine honor your father wears like armor.

My name is Jon Snow and I am the bastard of Winterfell. My father the lord of Winterfell, Eddard 'Ned' Stark believes that honor is a man's greatest virtue. Yet he forsook his vows to his Lady wife and lay with another woman and sired me.

Lady of Winterfell, Catelyn Stark has always hated me, she wishes me dead. I can see the hatred and the coldness in her eyes whenever she sees me.

I am only 6 name days old and yet I can tell that Lady Stark wishes me dead.

The day my father leaves to join our King Robert Baratheon to fight against the Ironborn I feel like my life has ended.

Robb and I have always been close. We have the same lessons with the Maester Luwin, training with Castle at arms Rodrik Cassel we spend a lot of time together. Lady Stark has never liked me socializing with her true born son and heir but father has always made sure that we get the same training and lessons. She never lets me see any of my sisters Sansa and Arya. Sansa already a miniature version of Lady Stark always moving holding her skirts. Arya is only 4 moons old and already everyone says that the wolf blood is strongest in her.

A week after my father's departure Lady Stark changes my study schedule so that Robb and I don't have lessons at the same time.

A fortnight later I feel completely alone as I am not allowed to eat at the main dining hall with everyone else. I am allowed to have my arms training at the crack of dawn so no one sees me.

A moon later I feel like everyone has forgotten about me and believe me to be a ghost who haunts a small bedchamber in the keep.

Two moons later I catch the pox. I lie in the bed alone desperately wishing that I had someone. Someone who would put me before anyone else, who would care and fight for me. As I lie in the bed thinking and wishing for someone who I can call my own, who would be mine as I will be theirs.

A comet flies over the illuminating the night sky and unknown to me fulfilling my wish.