23

It had been more than century since a dragon flew over Westeros but soon there will be dragons again. Grandmaester Pycell had been prudent to inform his fellow brothers about the threat of the dragons and the Citadel had sent advanced designs of scorpions that had once been used by Dorne to slay a dragon.

Robert had been in a pleasant mood seeing those designs and so had been the Queen and her father. The Lannister Lord financed as many as those scorpions that could be built.

...

...

...

...

Jamie Lannister, the White Lion, heir of Casterly Rock was staring out of the window with his father's missive in his hand. His father's orders were clear, prepare for war, he was to raise the banners and fight against the very man he had wanted to serve. Rhaegar was to be the king, the king realm needed after his mad father but all they got was a whoremonger, a king who was happy getting drunk and fucking whores and killing boars. Rhaegar was alive, he had a dragon. Jamie's father wanted him to kill the Last Dragon like he had killed his father. That was the last thing he wanted to do. To know Rhaegar was alive and well along with Elia, Jamie hoped that that her children had survived too.

Jaime was lost in his memories of the little black haired, purple- eyed princess when his wife came into the room along with Tyrion.

Alyssa brought him back, his marriage to her started as a way to bring the Westerland's together but they quickly became closer and loved each other. There was nothing he hid from her, she knew his truths, about Cersei and why he killed Aerys.

He showed his wife and brother the letter his father had sent to prepare the west for an inevitable war. Tyrion and Alyssa were both worried what it would take from Jaime, if he had to fight against the very Prince, he swore oaths to. The realm might think of him a Kingslayer but the truth was there was no man who wanted Rhaegar to be king more than him. He had seen the bruises on the Queen after the many visits of Aerys after he had burned someone alive. The battered image of Queen Rhaelle made frequent visits to Jaime's nightmares.

'What will you do, my love? I know you won't fight against the Targaryen but you can't very well ignore your father, can you?' Alyssa asked him.

'Of course, he can defy father. He has done only one good thing for him and that is the marriage between you two. It is stupid to even think about marching against the Dragons the Targaryen King has. Rhaegar will kill our father but he might just spare us if we reach him first. There is no way he let father live, the murders of Rhaenys and Aegon will be avenged. Father, Clegane and Lorch will be dead by Rhaegar's hand of this I am sure. I want you two to take your children and find some help.' Tyrion ranted.

His wife and brother debated their options while he stares at the setting sun. The sky turned red and he had a flashback, suddenly he was back in the throne room, his father in front of Robert while two little bodies wrapped in Lannister blood laid on the floor, the crimson of the Lannister banner turned dark with the blood it had absorbed.

The sight made his stomach churn and eyes burn.

With that his mind was made. He was running away from the horrible responsibilities his father had pawned off on him. He would take his wife and children and his brother and pray Rhaegar listens to him before killing him if not, he might spare his wife and children and his brother.

And thus, the plans were made. Jaime had to convince Tyrion to come with them, he was a little wary to join them both, he felt his presence would make them more recognizable but Jaime remained unmoved. Tyrion then procured a ship that would take them to Myr and from there to Asshai, where Rhaegar was rumoured to be.

They packed a generous amount of gold dragons along with all the expensive jewellery. The children were told nothing lest they blurt out anything. Jaime had selected guards that were loyal only to him alone, they were led by Addam Marbrand. He was a long friend of Jaime and was loyal only to him. A week after the letter that was sent by Tywin to his heir and son, the said son along with his wife, children and brother sailed to the other continent.

...

...

...

...

...

Dreams holding greater meaning were no stranger to House Targaryen, the dreams his son was having Rhaegar's bones chill in fear. The prophetic dreams about White Walker and the Night King! He was now sure his son is the Prince who is Promised. He had roused dragons from stone, it was because of him that they were so close to having their throne, their home back.

Rhaegar is damn proud of his son.

. . .

. .

.

. .

. . .

The Red Keep was in uproar. The Lord Stark, Lord Paramount of the North, the best friend of the King and the most honourable man in the Seven Kingdoms had vanished from the Keep along with his son and his entire retinue leaving behind only a letter.

The letter had the King of the Seven Kingdoms rage like he had never before even when his betrothed had been allegedly taken.

The letter contained the North's support for the Targaryen's. Ned Stark had fooled the world by claiming a bastard who was in fact the trueborn son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Targaryen nee Stark. It contained the copy of the marriage announcement of Rhaegar and Lyanna and the birth announcement of their son Jaeherys Targaryen also known as the bastard of Winterfell, Jon Snow.

For Robert to know that his one true love ran away to marry the Dragon Prince was like a lance to the heart for him. He raged and drank and then he sent men to capture Ned Stark so he could cut his head off his shoulders.

His men came back empty handed and Varys took great delight to let Robert know that the Lord and Heir of Winterfell had taken a ship to Essos and left a day before so they had no hopes of catching up with him.

Finally, banners were called to march to the North, if he could have their heads, he will have their homes.

That afternoon a flurry of ravens flew commanding the Lords to raise their banners to prepare for war.

Robert had the full support of the Stormlands, Westerlands and the Vale. He wanted to entice the Reach by making their rose the queen by marrying Margery to Joffrey. That would make it the biggest army to march to North.

. . .

. .

.

. .

. . .

Ned Stark was landed on the courtyard of Winterfell from the back of the Griffin he had been gifted by Prince Dudley along with Robb. The rest of the Northern retinue would travel to White Harbour by ship. It had taken the father-son duo only a fortnight to reach Winterfell on Griffin back. They kept their pace sedate as to not over tire the beasts.

Seeing the face of his wife and of the other occupants of the courtyard Ned knew that the news of his defection from the crown had reached the North. He could see various sigils of his bannermen flying around, no doubt they had arrived to find answers.

The Manderley, Bolton, Umbers, Karstarks, Mormont and even the Crannogmen along with other houses were there. Within minutes all the Lords accompanied by their heirs stood in the courtyard.

His wife had an ugly look on her face and he knew that he would be required to explain himself in detail.

'My Lords, thank you for coming to Winterfell. I welcome you all here. Please join me and Robb in the Dining hall for lunch. I will explain myself to all of you soon.' Ned said addressing the crowd.

With that he moved to his rooms and asked for hot water to bathe. He had just settled in the tub when his wife entered the room, she still had that ugly pinched look on her face.

He knew that he was in for a fight.