5

Rayne woke up in her bed and grinned at the thought of seeing a real life dragon. After all which kid would deny being enthralled at the thought of riding a dragon.

Rayne dressed and went downstairs to meet her Aunt and Uncle. Her aunt was humming at stove and her uncle was reading the newspaper. Dudley was sleeping over at his friend's house so it was only the three of them at breakfast. She wished Good Morning to the both of them and sat down for breakfast.

She silently worked on her plate of food thinking about dragons and how could she make them alive again. To her knowledge dragons had died in Jon's world centuries ago and all the attempts to bring them back were failed. Lost in her thoughts she didn't see her Guardians exchange an uneasy look.

Petunia Dursley thought that her niece was odd. She never asked for anything, never demanded or argued. She was the exact opposite of her parents. Lily had been a voracious child and James Potter was a happy man who took great pleasures in the smallest of things. Yet Rayne always kept to herself. She knew that her niece has magic. She could see the subtle things she did. The most noticeable being the lilies in the garden which never wilted even in the harshest weather and her snake. Rayne thought she was being clever but Petunia knew about the snake that roamed around the house observing them. Vernon quietly gets up and leaves the table giving them space to talk.

She cleared her throat making her niece finally notice her.

'Rayne I want to tell you something.' Petunia exhaled quickly.

'Yes Aunt Petunia.' She says absentmindedly.

'It's about your parents' Said Petunia.

That sentence insures that Rayne gives her full attention to her aunt. She says nothing. Petunia takes a deep breath and starts taking.

'Rayne, know that we care for you deeply and worry how what I am about to say will affect you.'

'You can tell me anything. I know you are looking out for me, both of you. I promise to keep my composure.'

'Oh! Child the way you talk makes me feel like you are twenty years old not about to turn eleven. As your eleventh birthday draws near I have no choice to tell you the truth even if I was asked not to tell you anything. You deserve the truth.'

Petunia closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She then looks into her niece's eyes, similar to hers and her sister's. The eyes have trust in them. Trust that she has in her. That trust gives her strength to finish her tale.

With that Petunia starts her story.

'Rayne your mother and father loved you very much. But the truth is that they trusted the wrong person with yours and their own safety.'

'You said that they died in a car crash. How can that be their fault?' she counters.

'I lied. I am sorry but I had to. You very young and not at all ready to hear what I am about to say. You are a witch. I am pretty sure you know that magic is real. I can see the power in your eyes. Your mother had the same eyes.'

'You know about my magic? My mother had it too? Did my father have magic? Do you?' she asks in a single breath.

Petunia smiled at her thinking how she looked so much like her mother at that moment.

'No Rayne I do not have magic but your parents did. Your grandparents, my parents didn't have magic either. Your mother could things like you can. When she turned eleven a letter came for along with a professor from a school. The school your mother went to and met your father in. it is a school was witches and wizards. There is a whole society of magical people hidden from us. Your mother was what they called a Muggleborn, which is a witch/wizard born to non-magical parents. Your father on the other hand was a pureblood, magicals who can trace their ancestors going back at least a thousand years. Potters are an ancient bloodline and you are the last of them.