Chapter 24

Jade's POV

"Dad" I screamed at seemingly empty house.

No one answered.

Big surprise. I don't know why I even bother to ask

I put my keys on the kitchen counter and stomped to my room. I threw my bag on my bed and plopped on it. I was angry at my dad for not being home when I need some fatherly advice. I really was nervous about the dinner with The Vega's tonight. Was it formal or informal? What should I say? So much for his support.

Since I had 4 hours to get ready, I opted for doing my homework first. I hadn't had that many assignments, so in less than an hour I was already done with everything.

I could watch a movie, or read a book, or eat something, or write something, or do anything that might slow time down.

None of those options were good for me, so I just sat on the couch in my room and got to thinking. I wanted to call Cat to get her opinion on what I should wear, but I had a feeling I could do fine on my own.

I spent about 15 minutes rummaging my closet for a classy/casual dress, and then I decided on wearing a soft pink almost knee length dress and took off the highlights in my hair, choosing to go as simple as possible.

I stripped and got in the shower, washing away all my worries. I needed to be as relaxed as possible, I didn't want to mess this up.

I dried my hair and then used my curling iron to put soft curls in my hair. When I was satisfied, I put on lighter make-up than what I usually would wear, just a bit of eyeliner, mascara an all that other shit girls use to cover up their face, only not so much, and also a bit of eye shadow.

As soon as I finished, it was 5:45 p.m. I put on nude undergarments, because my dress was a bit transparent. I didn't know if I should go with flats or heels, but I felt that flats would work more with the dress. I also put in golden hoop earrings and a golden cross ring on my middle right finger.

I spotted, from the corner of my eye an old box on the shelter and went to see what was inside it. When I opened it, I saw a necklace with my name written on it; I remembered it as a birthday gift from my mom when I was eight.

I looked in the mirror and I didn't recognize myself. I wasn't wearing dark makeup or dark clothes as I normally would; I looked like myself 5 years ago, before my mom died in a car accident. It was a sad reminder, but I was also happy to face my fear of being myself again. I found it easier in these past years to not create emotional relationships with people, so that I wouldn't get hurt, but Vega, of all people, changed that.

I had fallen for her, that's all I needed to open myself up to hurt, but it was worth it if in the end, I got to be with her.

I grabbed a nice purse that went with my outfit and stuffed my cell phone, car keys and wallet in it.

As I opened the front door, I found my dad outside with his hand on the handle

"Jade" he stared at me while coming in "You look so beautiful. You look like your mother"

"Thank you" I answered

"Where are you going like that? On a date with Tori?" he asked

"Yeah, I have dinner with her parents tonight" I replied nervously

"Don't worry, they'll love you. Just be yourself" he said

I smiled. I was going to be myself, not the bitchy Jade everyone expected me to be

"Bye dad" I said giving him a hug and leaving

I got in my car and headed for the Vega residence, but I was gonna make a stop first...