Chapter Six

Hello, my children!

I'm back, and this time it hasn't been, like, three months! Because it's SUMMERTIME BITCHES! I have no classes (just work lol), so I actually have time to write! YAY!

Anyways, to reward y'all for being so patient with me, this chapter is a longer one. Grab a snack and get cozy! ;)

Love you all! I can't thank you enough for your continued support and patience. I really don't deserve you <3

Enjoy,

E<3

~

The wind whipped through my hair as I gunned the engine down the highway, smacking me in the face. Unlike full-blooded humans, I hardly needed a helmet; if I crashed, I could sustain damage, but my reflexes were far superior to that of humans. Still, normally I had time to tie my hair up so it wouldn't do this crud.

My hands gripped my bike in a death grip, my hands shaking with the effort of steering in the opposite direction of the stranger. My mind was crowing a victory, but my very soul rebelled against me.

The last time I had felt this way was the first time my father had ordered me to kill someone.

But this was different. This didn't hurt anyone.

I never want to hurt a soul again.

If only. But that was a pipe dream. A fantasy. The world revolved around hurting one another. There was no space for kindness or weakness. I'd have to kill again. And again, and again, and again-

I shook my head, desperately fighting back tears. I was stronger than this. I had learned to shut off the part of my heart prone to such weakness, I just had to do it again. But it was difficult now. My run-in with the stranger, however brief it had been, left me feeling raw and vulnerable and...weak.

No. That was my father's word.

Did that make it untrue?

Suddenly, a man appeared in front of the bike, and I shrieked, braking abruptly and feeling my precious bike shuddering under the strain. My whole body jerked forward, and I grit my teeth with the effort to stay astride, my knuckles and fingertips going white at the pressure I exerted. Once I finally regained my equilibrium, I raised my head to see an imposing male standing about five feet in front of my front wheel, arms crossed and looking entirely unconcerned for someone who almost got a new tire tattoo, looney toons style.

He was at least six-foot four, with broad shoulders and a musculature to match. His longish, inky black hair fell around his shoulders in well-groomed waves, glowing like the rest of his golden complexion. But those eyes of his stopped my heart in its tracks.

I had eyes like those. His were a little lighter, differently shaped...but those were unmistakable.

"What are you?" I meant it to come out as a demand, but it felt more like a whimper.