Chapter Ten

Hello precious children!

I am back! So far, I'm somehow managing not to fall too behind in classes, accomplish basic human tasks, AND get writing done?? I'm confused, not sure how I'm doing it, and terrified because who the fuck knows how long that's going to last.

But anyways, I'm working hard, I promise! There's a lot of moving parts in my life, and I'm trying to keep things working. I swear if I disappear I'll be back. Pretty sure y'all can trust me by now...I always come back!

But anyway, this chapter is a whole-ass roller coaster, so I hope you're ready ;)

Enjoy,

E <3

~~~

"Thank fuck," Ammi groaned once Meg had successfully teleported us out of the Hell dimension. "Our mates are so over-protective it's ridiculous, and Kai-Kai needs to tell us everything."

My lips quirked slightly, despite myself. But still, I couldn't resist asking, "You were so eager to leave...but, with my father around, are you not...scared? Like, at all?"

Ammi's eyes darkened, and she laughed humorlessly, "Oh, make no mistake, I'm fucking terrified. Michael made my life a living nightmare for years, Meg's for decades, and tormented my angel. I may be a blustering idiot sometimes, but even I get scared." She shook her head quickly, "But being around Luce right now...I need space, and the only way I can get that for the moment is to pretend to be Teflon. But once I've come to terms with this massive pile of shit, I'll go screaming into his absolutely giant, perfectly muscular, ridiculously possessive chest and not come up for air for days."

I definitely agreed with the last part of the plan, because though Marcus hadn't exactly reacted in a flattering manner to the news, he was still my Champion. Would I expect an apology from him for snapping at me? Well, it would only be polite of him. Would I forgive him instantly because, for the most part, I was utterly incapable of holding a grudge? Most definitely.

I'd done my best to harden my heart against everyone, to remain suspicious and guarded, especially against my Champion. But I'd always been weak, soft-hearted, and foolish. I couldn't control how I felt, and whether I'd intended it or not, they'd all crashed through my marshmallow defenses, with Marcus and Amirykal leading the charge.

Fighting their friendship now was useless. As for everything...erm...else Marcus offered...that remained to be seen.

Meg, grinned in a forced manner, before chuckling, "Sounds like a plan to me, my Queen. I'll be doing much the same with my Raphie, once I make him grovel for being so rude to our new friend. Let me be the first to apologize, Kaiah, for his barnyard manners. I'll straighten him out. And thank you again, for letting me off the hook for the whole...'assisting in your kidnapping thing'."

I shrugged, genuinely not upset. It wasn't her fault, really, she couldn't control her angel. Or, I didn't think she could. And where I was now...I wasn't so sure the kidnapping was a bad thing. Marcus...Marcus was in my life now, for better or for worse. And I was pretty sure it was for the better.

"I've never gotten a pedicure before," I confessed, changing the subject and wringing my hands slightly. "Is it...fun?"

Ammi took my hand, smiling encouragingly. "Damn right it is! You get to pick out your color, get a massage, the whole nine! And, as is ritual, we will gossip like crazy."