Closer: We Can't

She jumped up onto the counter, and continued eating her chips that she had set down before changing as he cleaned up the kitchen a bit.

"Excuse me." He said reaching past her to the cupboard. He opened the door, and she leaned away, making enough room. When he finished replacing the things, his hand "accidentally" hit the back of her head.

"Ow!" She yelled at him.

"Sorry." He returned with a smirk. She kicked him in the butt when he turned around.

"Hey! That is delicate!"

"Yeah, right." She scoffed. He turned around and shoved her arm, playfully. She shoved back looking at him with her eyes asking what are you going to do about it?, and then they entered into a shoving war. In the back and forth, she almost fell off of the counter a few times. He began to tickle her, and she let out a scream.

"I'll stop if you apologize!" He gave her an ultimatum.

"For what? You started it! Ahh!" She half laughed, half yelled. Finally she gave up.

"Fine! I'm sorry!" She yelled, He stopped, and then she mumbled,

"I still didn't do anything." She looked up and him, and slowly drained of her attitude, her eyes meeting his face. He was looking into her eyes as he caught his breath. He was looking through his brows, his head tilted towards the floor making his Jheri curls fall forward in a black curtain. He studied her face, loving every part he saw, and he remembered her beautiful mind and fell in love even more. They were just friends, and he knew that, but in the moment for some reason, he couldn't quell his rising emotions from when they were younger. She felt it too, getting lost in the rise and fall of his breath, but she knew that it would be painful to act on it. He took a step closer to her and looked deeper into her eyes, absorbing every element. The cloudy brown similar to his; the black pupils; the dark eyelashes. His eyes were drawing her in to him, calling for her to lean forward, but she broke away.

"We can't." She said, barely over a whisper. She reached out to him, and placed her hands on his chest.

"I know." He replied, taking a step closer.

"Really..." She said, as she wrapped her hands around the small of his back.

"I know." He said. He took another step closer, pushing out any distance that had existed between them. He placed his forehead on hers, and kissed her nose. She kissed his cheek, and he returned. He began kissing close to her mouth slowly and gently, but he stayed clear of her lips, wanting her to make the final decision. Each kiss left her skin burning, and she felt as if he was reclaiming her all over again. She fought her self on the inside, trying to remember how it wouldn't work, how it couldn't work, yet finally she slightly turned her head, and kissed the edge of his mouth. He gave her light kisses on her lips, as if nipping the scent from a rosebud. He kissed her neck and collarbone, showing extra attention to the scar on her shoulder that she always tried to cover. All she could do was exhale at his touch. She breathed in his scent, and with each inhale she became more relaxed, and more wrapped in the fantasy of Michael and her as she simmered to be with him. She pulled him closer by his shirt, kissing his mouth lightly and then in an innocent whisper she said,

"Touch me." He hesitated at her words, unsure if acting out on his desire and her orders would be right. She took his hand and placed it on her thigh, and then she began to unbutton his shirt. Before she could finish, he got a tight hold of her, and lifted her up. He walked both of them to his bedroom where the secret would be born. In the dim light of the stars and moon, they illuminated each other. Blossoming like tulips in spring. He whispered,

"Are you sure?" She stopped and looked at him. After caressing his cheek, she closed her eyes and laid back on the bed, ready for their bond to be made.

****~~~~****~~~~****~~~~

Waking in a mess of sheets, he realized exactly what had occurred. Flashes of her hair lit by the moonlight creating a halo flew through his mind. He replayed the sight of her lips curled into a smile, her bright brown eyes staring into his, her hands reaching for his face. Beautiful... He looked down to his chest to see the crown of her head, tip of her nose, pucker of her lips like an exquisite terrain. And he was in love again. He vowed, in the dark of that wintery night that he would keep her with him, no matter what.