Chapter 7 - Snake

Miles knows he shouldn't be spying out the kitchen window. But he spots Axel leaving his house pretty late during the night. He also knows that Axel isn't as ok as he seems. Perhaps everyone gave him too much credit. The missing boy can't come home after 4 years and pretend everything is fine. He can't miss 4 years of his life and return like nothing happened because something did happen. Axel changed.

Two days later and Miles still can't get the image of how distressed Axel was out of his head. His reaction to the unrecognisable photo worried Miles. It scared him. And Axel pushes it aside as if it had never happened. But Miles remembers how Axel banged his hands against his head. Miles remembers how he cried.

Miles doesn't know why his mother decides to make lasagna so late on a Friday night. But his mother is unable to continue cooking because they've ran out of cheese so she sends her son to go buy some for her.

Miles walks through the dark streets, trying to see if he'll spot Axel strolling around, wondering what he could possibly be doing without him. A phone call from his mother interrupts his thoughts.

"Yes Mom." He answers. "Non dairy cheese?Since when did we eat non dairy cheese....Mom it's lasagna, you've made lasagna with dairy cheese before....Ok fine I'll get it." With a final huff and still slightly confused, Miles turns the corner to the store. He doesn't expect to see Axel there. Or perhaps he does. Just not Axel kissing some girl.

His lips linger on her neck, his left hand there too whilst his other hand slithers its way around her waist, keeping her balanced. Miles can't tell if he's angry or upset. He can't tell why.

Then Axel bites.

And it's not in that sexy seductive way when you want to leave a slight indent. No, it's a full on bite. One that pierces skin and draws fresh blood. Miles can see the white elongated canines that peak out of Axel's mouth. He can see the way the girl's blood drips off of them. And the way Axel licks his lips when he's done.

Miles realises then that Axel has a striking resemblance to the snake tattoo on his neck. The one with the fangs coming out of it's mouth. The one poised and ready to bite.

Miles slowly and silently backs away, turning the corner and then sprinting home. He'll just tell her the shop was closed.

•••••••••••

Miles slams the front door behind him, breathing heavily as he rests his back against it, eyes closed.

There is no way that Axel is a vampire. Vampires aren't real. What you saw probably has a reasonable explanation. Axel and his girlfriend were probably going to a costume party. That makes a lot more sense than him being a vampire. Does he really have a girlfriend?

Miles sighs, his mind racing too fast for him to keep up with. It comes to a halt when he hears a knock at the door.

He looks through the key hole and of course it's Axel. Miles doesn't have it in him to ignore his neighbour and opens the door slightly.

"Hey." Axel says, his voice wavering.

"Hey." Miles mimics the quake in his voice.

"Heard you needed some non dairy cheese."
Axel passes the bag to Miles who opens it to see the non dairy cheese he was supposed to get for him mom.

"Oh erm thanks." He says. Miles' hand shakes and Axel notices the movement.

"Please don't be scared of me." Because scaring Miles is the last thing in the world Axel ever wants to do.

•••••••••••

"Maybe we should start with you telling me what you saw."

"Erm well." Miles takes a deep breath. "I saw you bite her." He shuffles the smallest bit away from Axel and Axel hates that it hurts so much. That tiny movement. That small portrayal of fear. Even though it was a fraction of an inch, Axel can still sense the extra space between them on Miles' bed.

"Yeah, I did." Axel admits.

Miles never thought he would ever be in the position to ask such an absurd question but he asks Axel "Are you a vampire?"

"Yes."

Miles was prepared for that answer. He knew Axel wouldn't lie to him. Hide this from him? Yes. Lie to him? Never. Not when he doesn't have anyone to tell the truth to.

"But that doesn't change who I am. It doesn't change me."

Miles is quiet as he tries to decide whether he believes that statement or not. Whether Axel being a vampire changes him.

"Will the girl turn into a vampire too?"

"No. That's not how it works."

"How does it work?"

Axel isn't surprised at Miles' interest in the topic. He knew that someday he would have to tell Miles, his only friend and possibly best friend, the truth. But he wanted to keep things the way they were for just a little bit longer. Where Axel could indulge in the simplicity and ease of human life. Where he could at least pretend that his life was normal. Or as normal as it could be for a boy who was abducted.

But he was reckless. Thirsty. And Miles saw him.

"For me to tell you what it is to be a vampire you're going to have to forget about what you think you know."

"This isn't going to be like Twilight is it?"

"I don't know what Twilight is but if it's about vampires then no, this isn't going to be like Twilight."

"Cool. Should I make notes?" Miles asks.

"Wait." Axel pauses Miles and continues to ask "So are you ok with this? With me?"

Miles doesn't even have to think before replying. "Yeah, I'm ok with it. Yes you being a vampire does freak me out a little but you're still you. You're still Axel."

Axel smiles and has never been more grateful for this human being in his life. He tries to think about where to start. Axel has attempted to go through this conversation in his head numerous times, how he would start it, all the key bits and then how he would end it. I'm still me. Most of the scenarios started with Axel saying this "Vampires have venom."

"Venom?"

"Yes, like a snake."

Of course. Miles thinks. A snake.

"When we bite someone we secrete this venom. The venom is like a drug. Once it gets into your bloodstream you feel a rush. You become delirious. It's said to feel amazing. The girl you saw me bite will feel like she's coming off a high. She won't remember I bit her."

"Woah, I never knew any of this."

"Yeah. You're not supposed to."

"Ok, so how do people turn? How do you become a vampire?" Miles asks curiously.

"You die."

•••••••••••
A/N

Axel is a vampire?!?! Did you like the plot twist or did you already know?

I tried to leave some random little hints along the way.

And also if you ever get confused about all the vampire stuff please ask.

And sorry if you don't like vampire books......