Chapter 32 - A Rant

"He knew, Miles.

This whole time, my dad knew.

He knew what happened to me all those years ago. He knew who took me. He knew about vampires this whole time. Before I even came back he knew about them. About me. And Elias of all people had to be the one to fucking tell me?!

For years my dad's been trying to use vampire venom to cure everything. Diseases, illnesses, cancer, ageing. And how does he get this vampire venom? He suck it out of them like leeches.

Apparently there's a whole group of them doing this in the lab.

It's all supposed to be a secret. Vampires, venom, the cure, my dad's work and way too many fucking breakthroughs.

Elias found out about what my dad and the other scientists were doing because vampires were going missing and threatened my dad to stop. Of course he didn't and then Elias tried to kill him by setting up the crash. But we both know how that fucking ended. With me dead in the middle of the road.

There's this whole war going on and I got caught in the crossfire. I was the one who lost everything. Me! Not my dad. Not fucking Elias. Me!

My dad made it seem like he was the victim, the sad amputee who lost his leg and his son in a crash. But he wasn't the victim. I was. My mom was. That selfish fucking asshole. He chose to cover up the fact that he knew Elias took me to keep the secret of vampires because then everyone would find out about his work. He told everyone I was kidnapped, and I was. I fucking was. But I died too. My dad watched me die.

Elias said 'it was a blessing in disguise'. That I was given to him as a gift. That I was always meant to be a vampire. But in reality he bit me to spite my dad. For him to have his son return to him as a vampire was a fate worse than his own death. I was worse than death, Miles. I know what death feels like. And if I'm worse, then I must be a real fucking disappointment.

When I was standing at my parents' front door step, my dad knew what happened to me. That I was turned. He probably thought it was some twisted joke. Elias probably laughed at it too. You know which laugh I'm talking about, Miles. That low rumble that vibrates in his chest. To know that Richard's son would come back being the very thing he despised."