Chapter 29 - The Man Without The Mask

The only difference is that there's a glass of water on the bedside table and not a glass of blood.

The layout of the room hasn't changed, the crisp white bedsheets still remain on the large mattress. Axel spots a drop of blood on them and still wonders why they ever chose the colour white.

It takes a while for Miles to wake up and when he does, Miles doesn't recognise the place he's in.

Before he can say Axel's name, Axel presses a finger to his eager lips.

"Shhh. Try not to speak ok? I was told it was going to hurt if you tried."

Miles, bursting to say something, whether it be where am I, how long have I been here or I'm sorry, lays silently on the bed, frustrated and annoyed but grateful to have Axel by his side.

He should probably start with the apology.

"This isn't the hospital." Axel says, figuring that Miles was curious about his whereabouts. "Well it is a hospital but not for humans. For vampires. We're at the mansion."

The mansion. Where Axel spent 4 years of his life. Full of vampires. Only vampires.

"I was freaking out. I had to take you here. A normal hospital wouldn't have known how to treat you. You had too much venom in your system and if they found out about it, they would find out about vampires and the things the venom can do."

I sound like Elias.

"I had to take you here." Axel repeats. "I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to you."

Miles doesn't deserve Axel. At first it was the other way around. How could a ruthless vampire deserve an innocent boy like Miles? But Miles had lost his innocence a while ago.

Miles reaches for the vampires hand, linking their fingers together. For the first time ever, they're just as cold as each other.

"I'm so so sorry Axel."

His voice comes out a timid whisper, too afraid to say the words any louder in fear of the pain that it might cause his throat. Or in fear that Axel wouldn't forgive him. However all fear is lost when Axel says "It's ok Miles."

Axel caresses the boy's cheek. He wipes away the tear that falls. Miles really wants to wipe away the ones falling down Axel's cheeks too.

"It must take a lot for you to love me. Especially like this." Miles whispers, ignoring the pain in his throat. He speaks regardless of Axel's warning.

"No." Axel shakes his head. "Loving you is the easiest thing to do. I don't know how to be mad at you." Axel chuckles sadly. "I wanted to, I really really wanted to but I couldn't. I knew deep down it was my fault. It was my venom. I knew how addictive it could be and I let you have too much of it."

"No, it's not-"

"You should hate me." Axel interrupts. Miles shakes his head in refusal. "No, really. You should. But-" Axel pauses. He knows it's selfish. "I don't want you to. You were my sun. And I wanted to know how close I could get before getting burned. But I wasn't the one to get hurt. You were. You really should fucking hate me."

Miles sits up so he's face to face with Axel and reaches for him. He looks into his sad grey eyes and is willing Axel to understand what he's trying to say.

I don't hate you.

Or in other words, better words.

I love you.

And when Miles thinks he gets the message, he presses his lips against his. The kiss is slow and careful but nothing short of passionate. It's been a while since they've kissed like this. They don't expect anything more to come out of it.