Episode 6

Beyond The Wall

Daenerys Targaryen: So, if all goes well, I'll finally get to meet your sister. From everything you've told me about her, she'd rather murder me than speak with me.

Tyrion Lannister: Oh, first she'd torture you in some horrible way; then she'd murder you. Nobody trusts my sister less than I do, believe me. But if we go to the capitol, we'll go with two armies, we'll go with three dragons, and if anyone touches you, King's Landing burns down to the foundation stones.

Daenerys Targaryen: And right now, she's thinking about how to set a trap?

Tyrion Lannister: Of course she is... and she's wondering what trap you're laying for her.

Daenerys Targaryen: Are we? Laying any traps?

Tyrion Lannister: If we want to create a new and better world... I'm not sure deceit and mass murder is the best way to start.

Daenerys Targaryen: Which war was won without deceit and mass murder?

Tyrion Lannister: Yes, you'll need to be ruthless if you're going to win the throne. You need to inspire a degree of fear, but fear is all Cersei has. It's all my father had, and Joffrey. It makes their power brittle, because everyone beneath them longs to see them dead.

Daenerys Targaryen: Aegon Targaryen got quite a long way on fear.

Tyrion Lannister: He did. But you once spoke to me about breaking the wheel. Aegon built the wheel. If that's the kind of Queen you want to be, how are you different from all the other tyrants that came before you?

Daenerys Targaryen: So we walk into the lion's den?

Tyrion Lannister: My brother promised me he'd keep a grip on the Lannister forces.

Daenerys Targaryen: Forgive me, but I don't care about any Lannister promises... except yours.

Tyrion Lannister: And I promised him I'd keep you from doing anything impulsive.

Daenerys Targaryen: "Impulsive?"

Tyrion Lannister: This will be a difficult negotiation. We're sitting down with people who want to see us both headless. My sister's likely to say something provocative. 

Daenerys Targaryen: And?

Tyrion Lannister: And you have been known to lose your temper, from time to time, as all great leaders do.

Daenerys Targaryen: When have I lost my temper?

Tyrion Lannister: Burning the Tarlys, for instance.

Daenerys Targaryen: That was not impulsive! That was necessary.

Tyrion Lannister: Perhaps.

Daenerys Targaryen: "Perhaps?" 

Tyrion Lannister: Perhaps the father needed to die, and not the son. Perhaps they both needed time to contemplate their mistakes in the solitude of a cold cell. We had no time to discuss the possibilities before you ended their possibilities!

Daenerys Targaryen: One could be forgiven for thinking you're taking your family's side in this debate!

Tyrion Lannister: I am taking their side! You need to take your enemy's side, if you're going to see things the way they do! And you need to see things the way they do if you're going to anticipate their actions, respond effectively and beat them! Which I want you to do very much, because I believe in you, and in the world you want to build. But the world you want to build doesn't get built all at once, probably not in a single lifetime. How do we make sure your vision endures? After we break the wheel, how do we make sure it stays broken?