Why Me?- Auston Matthews (TML)

length: 573 words

warnings: swearing, cheating, auston being an idiot

requested: yes

-

When you first saw the picture of Auston kissing another girl while on a road trip you were initially upset but then you were overwhelmed by a sense of relief. Not because you didn't love him but because you'd rather it happened sooner than later. Later being when you were even more in love with him.

Obviously, Auston could do far better than you and you guessed that he had realised that but why couldn't he just break up with you? That's what you couldn't understand. Why did he have to cheat but not tell you how he was feeling? So when he got home, you decided to tell him straight up what you knew.

"Aus, I know you're tired but we need to talk."

Auston sighed deeply, his bags hitting the floor with a dull thud. "If it's about the picture, I'm sorry. I got drunk and I just - I just forgot. Sorry."

It was a pathetic excuse really, especially since you knew he wasn't drunk. You had been with him long enough to know what he looked like when he was drunk and that definitely wasn't it.

"Why me?" you whispered.

"Why you what?" Auston questioned, evidently confused.

"It's just that you told me about all these other girlfriends you had that you really didn't like, who flirted with other guys, but I'm the only one you cheat on. Why me?"

"Fuck (y/n). It's not like that, okay. I-"

"Auston I'm not going to lash out at you. I know I'm not good enough but please tell me what I did wrong. I need to know. Because if it was just about looks then this would have happened earlier," you rubbed your hands over your eyes, removing the tears that were threatening to fall.

"(y/n) please don't do this to yourself. You're beautiful, smart, funny, and so much more. Don't ever think that you're not good enough. I'm the one that fucked up, not you," he reached out for you but you pulled away.

"Why did you do it then because I know you weren't drunk?"

"Because I don't want you to love me. I can't give you what you want. I'm away most of the time and I'm immature and you deserve someone better, someone who can give you what you deserve," he said angrily, running his hands through his hair.

"You kissed someone else because you wanted me to break up with you because you thought I would be happier with someone else? You're such a stupid fucking idiot," you laughed weakly. "God I love you okay, deal with it. I don't mind you being away or you being childish, especially with Mitch, because I love you and every minute with you is astounding. But I swear to fucking god, don't ever do that to me again. Just tell me how you feel. Promise me," you practically shouted, passion erupting from your words.

He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. "Yeah, I guess that wasn't very smart of me."

At that you slapped his shoulder. "It wasn't at all smart of you. Now promise me, okay."

"I promise to tell you how I feel and I promise not to cheat on you again," he said softly.

"Was that so hard?" you questioned, walking up to him and pressing a light kiss to his lips.

"God, I'm so lucky," he whispered against you.