Chapter 16

Leo POV

I wake up in the middle of the night, my fur already dry, and get up on the bed with my mate, positioning myself to embrace her small figure. I've been doing this every day, ever since she told me not to get the sheets wet after we shower.

It astounds me how comfortable she is around me. She unceremoniously gets naked in front of me, and then we shower together. I let her wash me, since she knows that I can't do it myself. Usually in wolf form I don't take showers, but simply go to the river, but she insisted that she's not going to let me in bed with her if I don't clean up, so she took it upon herself to wash my fur. I'm not complaining, though, since it gives me a chance to openly ogle at her body.

But at the same time it's weird. She knows I can change into a human, but for some reason it doesn't seem to bother her. I can't wait till we shower together with me in my human form. I wonder if she will be this comfortable with me then.

'Of course she will. The question is, who will get to shower with her, cause I sure as hell will not let you hog her all for yourself.' Demon declares. Little fuck can't wait till full moon to shift.

'Oh the things I'm going to do to her...' Demon trails off.

'Calm down. We still don't know what she's been through. We need to explain the mate thing to her first, so she knows what to expect. We know for a fact that she doesn't know about werewolves. There is a lot to talk about, we can't just ignore that.' I tell him. Oh goddess, I just hope she will understand everything.

'Have some faith in her, asshole. She's comfortable with us now, even when she knows we can shift. Why would that change when we actually do?' He's right, she knows that we can shift, so there shouldn't be a problem. But I can't help but get worried.

'I hate to admit it, but you're right.'

'I'm always right.' Demon smirks at me, knowing he's won.

I feel my mate stir, meaning she's about to wake up. The morning came too fast. All I want is to lie in bed with her for the whole day, especially after yesterday's rogue attack.

Those fuckers tried to come into my territory, but thankfully my warriors are strong. When we reached the patrol, they were fighting with a group of rogues, and I immediately noticed they were wearing the same uniforms as the ones 2 weeks ago.

The patrol noticed them showing up at our border a few times, but it was the first time since their last attack that they actually crossed it. I have to find out what the hell do they want from my mate, since it's obvious that it's her they're after.

I gave clear instructions that if they appear again, my warriors are to kill them on sight. No fucking mercy. They are after my mate and I'll be damned before I let them get her.

My mate seems to understand my unspoken wish and instead of getting up, she simply snuggles closely into me, sighing in content.

"It was them, wasn't it?" She asks suddenly, making me tighten my hold on her slightly, burying my nose in the crook of her neck.

"They will keep coming, you know?" She says as she leaves my embrace and sits up on the bed, facing me. I keep lying as I listen to her.

"I wanted to wait till you're human, but I guess I can't do that. You have the right to know what's going on." She begins, waiting for my reaction. Once I nod, she continues.

"The person they work for is not someone who gives up easily. He has a lot of people working for him, so he will keep sending them until he gets what he wants. Me – I snarl at this, and she strokes my head to calm me down – I can't risk you getting hurt protecting me, but I don't want to leave you. I know you can talk to other wolves somehow, so I need you to warn them that those people will keep coming. Of course, I'm not going to put the responsibility of keeping me safe solely on you and other wolves. I can protect myself, but even I don't know how many of those guys will come. Their boss is a... monster, for lack of a better word. He's ruthless, relentless. He has a plan when it comes to me, that's why I escaped there. It was when you first met me. I was running away from them." She stops talking, by now she's pacing around the room, looking stressed out. I get up and go to her, leaning my head on her shoulder, my body surrounding her. She wraps her arms around my neck and we stay in each other's embrace as I try to calm down both her and me. I feel her trembling cold fingers going through my fur, occasionally gripping it tight.