The x Old x TV

My apartment complex was near my workplace, so there was no need to drive to travel between them. I was walking home from work, and the setting sun was painting the sky with vivid golden colors. The air was a bit humid, and the sky was clear. It was a beautiful evening, but I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it.

I sighed and turned at the corner. There wasn't a single car or person in the area, which is why the atmosphere was so desolate. Serene, but desolate. I was well used to it at this point.

I passed the small garbage dump that's always overcrowded with trash and junk, eager to move on quickly, but something caught my eye. I took a few steps back and stared at the heaps of bags. There was something there that didn't quite look like it belonged.

Is that a TV?

I stepped closer to get a better look while plugging my nose, and sure enough, it was one of those old-fashioned box TVs- probably a newer model... but it looked fine. It didn't even have any cracks or weird stains on it. Who would put a perfectly fine TV in the dump? At least sell it on eBay or something. It might be worth a lot, especially if it still works. I stared at it a little longer. Should I take it? I looked around. I mean... no one owns it anymore, so... it should be okay. This can't count as theft if they threw it out.

Again, I glanced around to make sure no one was watching, then quickly and carefully picked it up. It wasn't too heavy, and it was the size of a backpack, so it wasn't difficult to carry home- especially since it was just a five minute walk. I just hoped I didn't look like an idiot walking around with a box TV in my arms.

-

"Okay," I murmured, carefully setting it down in my room. "How do I work this thing...?" I really hope it still works, because if it doesn't, I just wasted a lot of time and energy.

I searched for some kind of wiring on the back, but failed to find any. Come to think of it, the TV didn't have anything on it other than the dark screen... weird. And I didn't have a remote or anything. I really should've thought this through. But a compatible remote could always be bought from the store, right? Then again, it looked like something from the early 2000s...

As I was staring regretfully at the dark screen, I noticed something sticking out from the side. What is that? I crawled over to inspect it. There- right there- a small panel on the left. I grinned. Maybe I can work this thing after all.

I tried to pry it open, but it wouldn't budge. After several attempts, I gave up and retrieved a fork from the kitchen. After a few more tries, the stubborn piece of plastic finally popped off. "Finally!" I exclaimed, dropping the fork.

I blew the dust away and peered inside. There better not be any creepy crawlers in there. Right in the middle of the small compartment, there was a dark gray button. Just a normal-looking button, about the size of my thumbnail. Okay... this might work. I lifted my arm to press it.

But little did I know, pressing that button would change my life forever. Maybe everything would've been much easier if I never even looked at that old TV.

My finger inched closer to the compartment, and every other sound seemed to fade into the background- the humming of the dishwasher, the barking of the neighbor's dog, the caws of the ravens outside. The only sound was the rhythm of my unsteady heartbeat.

Then, I made contact with the cold, smooth surface, and pressed the gray button with a quiet click.