|| Fourteen ||

It felt like hours had passed by the time all the daemons were slain. Everyone was breathing heavily as they regained their bearings and rested for a short while. Prompt dispelled his handgun and decided to give the unconscious (Y/n) a piggyback ride-making it easier for him to carry her. "I need a nap..." He sighed as he adjusted the girl on his back and cupped the back of her knees to keep her from falling off. Her arms hang limp around his neck, swaying back and forth with every step he took.

"We've all extended past our limits," Ignis huffed.

"All except for one of us," Gladio sighed, glancing at War.

"I just so happen to keep watch over the most dangerous monsters in all of existence. High stamina is a requirement for the job," the redhead responded while glancing towards her sister. "But the Horsemen still have their limits regardless of our immortality. Our special abilities take tolls on our bodies. Famine used hers to save all your asses. You should thank her when she awakens."

"Hold on a sec-" War vanished before the shield could finish his sentence. He stared at the spot where she once stood with an irritated expression. "Can't stay still for a damn minute..."

"We've gotta find Noct. Maybe he's found the Crystal by now," Prompto stated.

"Yes, let's," Ignis said.

Upon exiting the central elevator, the group followed a metal catwalk to the Crystal. When they saw no sign of Noctis, they were confused and frightened. Seeing the chancellor made the feeling all the more terrifying.

Ardyn turns to them, gestures nonchalantly at the Crystal and begins to walk away. Gladio swings his sword through the man's head, releasing a puff of dark smoke from where the blade strikes. Ardyn falls back a little, but maintains his balance and holds onto his hat to keep it from falling off his head.

The imperial chancellor gazed at Prompto, noticing the unconscious Horseman on his back. He coolly saunters over, but the blonde boy reacts quickly. He places (Y/n) down and stands in front of her protectively with his pistol drawn. He shoots Ardyn before he can take more than a couple of steps, releasing another puff of dark smoke and hurling his body onto the floor. The velvet-haired man's hat rolls away and lays still for several seconds before his hand suddenly reaches down to collect it and place it back on his head.

Once more unharmed, Ardyn is again standing. He bows with a smirk in Prompto and (Y/n)'s direction but then turns to Ignis. He smiles at the tactician, revealing corrupted daemonic features as he does so, but they go unnoticed by the advisor as his eyesight was no more. Ardyn walks away, leaving the four boys unharmed but devastated.

<------------<<<<<<<<<<<

A few days have passed since Noctis was absorbed into the Crystal. Gladio and Ignis went their separate ways in order to provide aid. With the nights lasting longer and sunlight was becoming scarce, the people around Lucis would need all the help they could get.

Prompto and (Y/n) currently sat at a booth in Takka's Pit Stop located in Hammerhead. The two had taken up many hunts since Noctis' disappearance to not only earn the necessary gil in order to survive but to clear their heads.

During their hunts, Famine would search for any signs of the Gashadokuro. Unfortunately, she couldn't even find a slither of anything that could help her locate the target.

"(Y/n)?" He calls out softly to her. "Are you okay? You're kinda spacing out."

She blinked a few times and didn't realize she had been staring down at the table. "Sorry, Prom. Just lost in thought, I guess."