The Arrival

The journey was long and Sansa was exhausted by the time that they reached King's Landing. She recognised the polluted smell that always clung to the air in King's Landing. But she did not recoil in disgust, she rather sighed and remembered the first time she had ever visited King's Landing with Joffrey and the Baratheons.

Petyr could not wait to be back. The white wintery landscapes of the North had many attributes to recommend itself. But in Petyr's mind, there was nowhere quite like King's Landing for a man of the world to reside. He had enjoyed the journey immensely, being in such close proximity to Sansa. She had slumbered and he had watched her peaceful resting face, smiling to himself, thinking of the time that they would spend together in the Capital. He wondered if her coming was a symbol of Sansa's willingness to become his wife. He did not know, but he was aware that he could not rush the process of marriage, as he wanted her to agree of her own accord.

They bid each other farewell as they parted ways to be escorted to their bedchambers. Sansa took in the sunlight, the gold hue that appeared to be cast over the city. She smiled as she remembered the fond times she had spent there, then shuddered at the overwhelming number of terrible events that had occurred. This time would be different. She had Gretchen and Brienne, people that she trusted. She would not be lured into niavity again, she was sure of it.

Petyr was glad to be given his old room. It still overlooked the rather seedier side of the Capital, the side where he made his money in his many brothels. The room was exactly as he had left it, with a feather still rested in a pot of ink and his old grey silk sheets laid upon the bed.
"I asked for your old room to be left. I hope you agree with my choice." Varys called from the door.
"Yes, this is where I feel most at home. Thank you, my Lord." Petyr bowed to Varys.
"Rest for the day. I understand that you and your companion have been travelling a long while and must be tired." Varys smiled to Petyr in a kind, yet confusing way.
"I shall wash, then walk in the city for a while, I think." He shared his plans with Varys.
"That is a fine plan. A clever man always checks on his businesses." Varys concluded, before leaving Petyr to his own devices.

Sansa stood in her room, which sat on the opposite side of the castle to her old dwelling. She overlooked the sea, rather than the temple, or what was left of it and she was glad for the change, being able to begin afresh with this new visit.
"I changed your room, I hope you do not mind." Varys sounded from the doorway. Sansa turned to find the kind familiar face of Varys staring at her. She smiled and approached him, feeling herself in a fine mood.
"Yes, thank you so much. This room is wonderful." She beamed at him. He carefully took her hand in his.
"I have heard the grave news of yourself and your brother, Lady Stark. I give you my condolences and assure you that whilst you are in King's Landing, no harm will fall upon you. We are a peaceful state now, one without the tyranny that has plagued us for so long." He reassured her.
"Thank you, Lord Varys. Your friendship is pricelessly valuable to me." She smiled up to him, knowing that Varys was a clever and strong man, a good choice to have on your side and a fatal flaw to have against you.
"Please, rest as you will. The coronation is tomorrow, so please spend the day preparing yourself in a manner that you see fit." Then, without a word, he left. Gretchen arrived soon after Varys left.
"Please draw me a bath, Gretchen. I am in need of a bathe after all of the travelling." Sansa ordered.

Petyr breathed heavily as he walked through the streets of King's Landing. There was a strange air about the town. People were joyful due to the liberation of the state. But also, their lives had been so ravaged by the explosion that many of the houses in the neighbourhoods were being reconstructed, leaving people homeless. However, despite people's strife, Petyr had never been richer. Times of tragedy brought men into the soft comforting arms of his whores and this resulted in their cold hard money entering Petyr's deep pockets. He knew that Sansa did not care about money, perhaps that was because she had never been without it. But nonetheless, he knew that a bolstered account was favourable when marriage was in question. The brothels appeared to be in good order. One of his longest employees had been keeping them running in the time that Petyr had been away and she was becoming quite the business woman. Petyr left his establishment feeling rather positive.