-» capitolo primo

__________________

" Nice job, asshole"

___________________

C L E O

___________________

Fifty years ago, if anyone told me I would be in a situation like this right now, I would have laughed at their face.

"Pffft... what are you talking about? I'm not that crazy."

But here I am.

In the middle of the night.

Looking for a lost human.

"Violet? VIOLET? Goddammit..." I hissed to myself.

Violet, my only (human) friend, left the house an hour ago to get popcorn from the gas station at the end of the street and didn't return till now.

The worst part is that I couldn't catch a trace of her scent even with my enhanced system. It was almost like she disappeared from the face of the earth.

I shouldn't have let her leave the house. I chastised myself. The girl attracts danger like a magnet.

​​​​​"What am I supposed to do? What will I tell - " My thought process was halted the second the wind had shifted. A strong scent of blood had overtaken my senses and I struggled to keep the monster chained within. Wait.

Blood.

Violet's blood.

"VIOLET!" I cried as I launched myself into the trail at the speed of light. The thirst for blood was long forgotten as I rounded the alleyway, around five miles from where she was supposed to be.

My undead heart had jolted in my chest as I took in the familiar hunched form of my friend.

I jumped across the dumpsters and kneeled before her, silently thanking the heavens above, for her beating heart.

"Vi! Are you okay?" I said, holding my breath as I surveyed the bleeding wound on her thigh. If I was human, I would have been bawling my eyes out right now.

"I got... mugged.." She coughed, smiling weakly. Despite the serious situation, I couldn't help but bark out a laugh.

"Only you Vi, only you." I snickered. I ripped my jacket into three strips and tied them around her thigh, trying to stop the bleeding.

"I'm so glad to see - " Violet blabbed, but my attention was diverted to the sound of multiple footsteps in our direction. They were noisy and fast. The last time I heard those sounds were around thirty years ago from -

"... newborns..." I muttered.

"If it wasn't for you -"

"Close your eyes Vi." I interrupted, just as they rounded the corner.

Before anyone could comprehend, I was crouched in front of Violet in a protective stance bracing the impact of the newborns.

Around ten emerged, snarling and growling for blood. At that second, I knew what I had to do for Violet.

She was my first friend.

The first person who understood my past.

The first person to not judge me or make fun of me for my past decisions.

The first person who cared enough to break down my walls and touch my heart.

I knew what I had to do.

I reached inside me for the evil power I had kept hidden for decades and attacked.

With a flick of my wrist, the newborns flew across the isle and were pinned on the wall - in mid air.

They tried to hurt me. They tried to hurt someone I care about. They were going to pay.

Slowly, almost agonizingly, I began to crush them inside out. Their cold, hard exteriors, began to crumble to dust. Cracks spread out on every inch of their granite skin. They began to turn into nothing.

Two more vampires emerged from the corner. One man and one woman. They seemed to be in charge with the aura surrounding them. The woman had red fiery hair and the man looked ordinary with ginger hair.

The woman's crimson eyes landed on me, and then the pile of dust. A crazed look spread her features as she tugged the fuming man away from us. Wise choice.

I breathed slowly, a pinch of regret filling the pit of my stomach. No. I shouldn't feel bad. They attacked me.

"Cleo... I don't mean to interrupt... but, how did you do that?" My wounded friend coughed from the ground. I stifled a groan of annoyance. This one never listens.

"Vi, I specifically told you not to look." I scowled. She looked up at me though her lashes with complete innocence on her face.

"Violet!" I groaned. I was about to tell her off when a slight movement caught the corner of my eye. My head snapped towards the source, and I could only catch four shuffling figures. My eyes widened, as the crimson in my orbs were trained straight at the place the shadows were lurking.

Just great. I knew exactly what those figures were, and if I'm not wrong, which I never am, we are now knee deep in shit.

I turned and looked at the idiot who is responsible for this whole fiasco, though I could never stay mad at her for long. I bent over and lifted her up bridal-style in my arms.

"Nice job, asshole."

______________________