-» capitolo quatro

____________________

" jealousy is love and hate at once " 

____________________

C L E O

_____________________

My life turning upside down was not exactly what I imagined it to be. 

It all started when I was reading peacefully in my bedroom. There was something about Edgar Allen Poe and his way with words that just got me every time. A knock on my door interrupted my reading session. 

"Come in." I muttered, putting my book down. The door swung open revealing Joel and Violet. I smiled at the happy couple, as they walked into my room, hand in hand. I felt a small prick at the pit of my stomach, but dismissed it as hunger. 

"What can I do for you guys this fine day?" I smiled. They looked at each other uneasily and sat down across me on the opposite sofa. 

"Well, don't take this the wrong way, but we're here to explain something to you." Violet sighed. I furrowed my eyebrows, but nodded. 

"Alec and Jane were born a long time ago, around 800AD. They both grew up fatherless as their dad was a Frankish soldier and had died in war. At that time, twins were uncommon and the villagers suspected something off their mother, but that was later dismissed." Joel explained. 

"Even at a young age, their powers were present, but had taken an odd shape in the form of luck, those who helped them were rewarded, and those who wronged them had suffered. At that time, children were supposed to be married off at the age of thirteen, but Alec and Jane could not, because of the rumors surrounding them." I frowned, that was rude of the villagers. I knew Alec had a rough past, but I didn't know it was that bad. 

"Long story short, they were considered witches and were condemned to be burnt at the stake. When their mother tried to save them, she was killed by the villagers in front of their eyes. The village priest recited holy verses while they burnt, praying for the purification of their souls after death." I couldn't stop my the gasp that had left my mouth at his words. Alec and Jane, tied and burnt at the stake? Pain filled my chest at the image forming in my mind of both of them being surrounded by fire as the villagers cheered. 

"Something in them had snapped - the kind Jane began cursing the villagers hoping to inflict the same pain on them that she was feeling." Poor Jane, I was beginning to regret the immediate assumptions I had made about her. 

"And Alec?" I asked, unable to stop myself as Joel paused dramatically. A small smile twitched the corner of his lips but he went on. 

"Alec on the other hand had given up. He wished the pain away and wanted nothing more than his death." 

"Aro was informed by a nomad about the twins, since he had been interested in them from the start. He rushed to the site and changed the twins, while the rest of the Volturi that had accompanied him, killed off the villagers." 

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, my gaze on the small table in front of us. I couldn't look into his eyes due to the overwhelming amount of pain that I - suddenly was going through. Why did I care? Why am I feeling like this? 

"Alec has had a rough past. He doesn't really open up to people easily. Being mates, you could -" 

"We're mates?" I choked, my eyes snapping up to meet his. He exchanged a look with Violet and nodded lightly. 

"I thought you might have figured that out by now." Violet sighed, holding Joel's hand. The buzz at the pit of my stomach became more pronounced. I frowned as I finally figured out what it was - jealousy. I was jealous of what Violet and Joel had and secretly craved affection - though I wouldn't tell anyone. 

"I didn't." I replied curtly. I felt a sense of exhaustion - the weight of the burden on my shoulders began weighing down on me and I think they both noticed. 

"We'll give you some time alone." Violet said as they both walked out giving me time to think.

"It barely took me a day to memorize the routes in this castle without getting lost." Alec sneered, looking pointedly at me. 

"Were you born this annoying or is this just an old people thing?​​​​​​ Can you just show me the way to the library without expressing your unneeded opinions?" I snarked at the fool.

"I still can't believe you want to go to the library. It came as a shock to me that you are literate enough to read." He said, his gaze forward as we took another turn. 

"You should know, I can read and speak in six languages. Thank you very much.​​​​​" I sassed. 

"Are you sure? I can always choose out the picture books for you if you want." He smirked making me want to backhand him untill he blacked out. 

"Oh put a cork in it." I scowled and went on. 

I smiled to myself at the memory. Who knew someone so annoying could be the reason for my smile?

"Vi, can you pass me that book?" I asked Violet, getting bored of the tragedy I was reading. 

"What's wrong Hopper? Finally realize the book is out of your intellectual standards?" Alec teased. 

"Oh shut - wait. You know my middle name?" I growled, my accusing eyes landing on Violet. She was the only one who knew and teased me about it. 

"Not me." She denied. 

"We are a vampire monarchy. We have records of all the vampires that are turned. Yours included." Alec smirked. 

"You - what? I have kept my middle name a secret since I was turned. How did you find out?" I snarled. There was no way - I destroyed every trace of myself after the transformation. 

"Your death certificate had a few... details." Alec snickered. 

"You -" I scowled and I began choosing from the millions of curses running through my mind. "You creepy old pedophile. You snooped through my records and you're making fun of me to top it off? You are the most annoying, vexatious, irksome and the most infuriating person I have ever met, and I have seen a lot in my time. Do you have any idea how angry you make me? You get on every single one of my nerves to the point where I want to smack you into the next oblivion. You are so prissy and annoying that half the time I wished I could teleport you to the bottom of the ocean." I ranted. Alec rolled his eyes and got up, placing his book on the shelf as I followed him, telling him off. He ignored me and walked to the coffee table, picking up a book from the small pile and walking out with me hot on his trail. 

I chuckled to myself at the weird memory of us fighting for no important reason. A warm fuzzy feeling engulfed me as my thoughts wandered about him. I sighed happily and leaned back onto the sofa as I continued thinking about him. 

Ten minutes later, I realized what I was actually doing and I had to slap myself to control my thoughts. 

It was happening too fast. 

I was falling for Alec Volturi.

___________________