Ch. 4 - Wants and Needs

Katsuki wasn't sure how long they sat there, but Shouto finally moved away a bit. Katsuki let his arm fall from the other's shoulders, and rested it on the back of the booth as he waited for Shouto to speak.

Shouto rubbed his hands up and down his face briefly, then sighed. He lowered his hands, and crossed his arms on the table. "Sorry." Is the first thing he said, looking sideways at the blonde next to him.

"For what?"

"... That. What just happened."

Katsuki sighed, a hint of irritation underlying it. "What did I tell you about apologizing for being human?.. Geez, I'll start carrying around a spray bottle to spritz you with every time you do or say something stupid."

Shouto snorted softly in amusement, shaking his head. He ran a hand through the hair that wasn't up in his half-updo. "Really know how to make me feel better, huh."

A small smile tugged at the corner of Katsuki's mouth briefly. He angled himself a little more towards the boy next to him, placing his elbow on the table. "What's goin' on?" He let his cheek rest in his open palm.

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

They stared at each other, both gauging the other's expressions.

After a couple seconds, Shouto sighed. "It just.. Some people say they understand. And you know they mean well, but they have.. No idea what's actually going on." He said, pausing for a moment. ".. But when someone actually, truly understands, and so candidly says so and tells you.. Personal things, like you just did, I..- I don't know. Having someone be so honest, and actually know, is just.. To me, the slightest bit overwhelming. In a way." He looked at the blonde who was watching and listening intently.

"Shit's hard, and you understand that. Completely. And you seeming to know exactly what's going on in my head is oddly personal, and it just-" He couldn't quite find the right words, so he just gave up and blurted out, "I'm weirdly emotional sometimes anyway, but you being.. You.. was just a lot, and I didn't expect it, and also hearing that you'd been through shit at such a young age too, was just.. A lot."

Katsuki waited, though when Shouto didn't add anything else, the former spoke.

"I'm glad my tragic backstory wasn't the main problem."

Shouto snorted softly, shaking his head and slouching back in his seat a bit. "That's another thing I like about you."

"What?"

"You know how to defuse and relax situations- whether it's with humor, or aggressive kindness. You just.. are good." Shouto shrugged a shoulder, then moved in his seat enough to lean against the wall. He let his left leg stay on the floor, though he brought his right leg up to rest his arm on his knee.

"Aggressive kindness, huh?" Katsuki smiled wryly. He chose not to mention that he only showed this side of himself to those incredibly close to him.

"It's true!" Shouto defended, feigning a pout.

The blonde rolled his eyes subtly, though was still smiling. "Whatever." He leaned toward the other boy and lightly hit his chin. "Don't pout."

Shouto continued to pout. "If I wanna pout, I'll pout."

Katsuki squinted at him. "How old are you again?"

"Twenty, going on ten." The red-and-white haired boy sassed.

"Yeah. I can tell." Katsuki poked the boy's cheek. "C'mon, don't pout. You're not as hot when you pout."

The pout disappeared, and a shy smile appeared in its place as Shouto looked away.

Katsuki leaned more towards the other and crossed his own arms over Shouto's that was still on his knee. The latter didn't look at the other boy even after said other boy rested his chin atop their folded arms.

"Hey." Katsuki said. "Look at me."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because I don't want to."

"You just don't want me to see that blush- which I can totally see by the way."

"I'm not blushing.."

"The rush of blood to your cheeks says otherwise, dipshit. Look at me."

"Not when you talk like that." Shouto followed that with a sideways glare.

"Fine. Will you please look at me you cute fuckin' dipshit."

Charming.

"Bakugou, I swear.."

Katsuki smirked, tilting his head a bit. "Not as much as I'd like you to."

Shouto finally turned to look at the other boy, squinting. When the blonde only continued his smirk, Shouto sucked his bottom lip into his mouth, thinking. He definitely noted the way the other boy's eyes immediately diverted their attention to the action.

Oh.

"I'm sorry I was pouting." He said softly, moving to rest his chin atop the blonde's crossed arms that were still atop his own arm and knee. Their faces were mere inches apart, but just far enough that their wouldn't be accidental lip-on-lip action. Maybe.

Katsuki tilted his head a bit, a small smile appearing briefly. "S'okay." This close, Shouto's eyes were even more stunning. "You have beautiful eyes." The blonde said softly, making the other blush lightly, a small smile gracing his own lips.

"As do you. They're almost.. Red."

"It's a pigment imbalance that I have." Katsuki answered with a slight shrug. "Doctor's say it's a one-in-a-billion thing."

"So we both have rare eyes." Shouto said wryly.

"I guess so." Katsuki murmured.

Then they just stared at each other; studying the other's features. After a comfortable amount of appreciating each other, Shouto spoke again.

"Bakugou?"

"Yes?"

"... Do you.. Want to kiss me?"