4. Comfortably Numb -with who?

"How was last night's shift?" I ask with a mouthful.

"It was tranquil actually. The babies were okay in their incubators the whole time." Mom says as she pours orange juice in a cup.

"Nice. Party was fun though." I say with my voice low.

My mom snaps her head towards me, "did you really stay with Stella? 'Cause she was the only one who actually replied to my messages." She sits down.

"Something happened." I take a sip from my water.

"Uh-huh?"

"Stella and I were together the whole time." I gulp, "...We crashed at Nate's —one of Nolan's friends."

"Oh..." She pauses, "I'm not surprised you lied to me but disappointed. However, Stella did surprise me." She raises her eyebrows and stands up.

I stay silent.

"I don't know what I'm going to do Rebecca Harris." She snaps.

"With what?" I start to clean up the table. "Please don't start aga—"

"The hell I am Becca." She shouts, "I need you to find a job or something productive to kill time. I'm so tired of you lying to me, telling me all of your friends are going to college as if that's a bad thing and you here doing nothing. Nolan is going away, what are you going to do?"

"Okay." I calmly say, "First, I don't tell you all of my friends are going to college because I don't have so many friends; second, college is NOT bad, okay?; and third, Nolan is gonna be at UCLA, that's like forty minutes away from here."

She rolls her eyes. "I'm going to rest and sleep. Twelve hours of work is too much." She pauses. "Grab some money if you want to go out. I don't care as long as you take this motherfucking time to figure out what you're going to do with your life."

My mom disappears from the kitchen and now I don't know how to stop this miserable feeling inside of me.

I check my phone and to my surprise, Stas texted me a while ago. I forgot how she has my number but whatever.

Stas: Hey babe

Stas: Do you want to come over? We got drinks ;)

Me: Nolan and I aren't in good terms rn :(

She responds almost immediately.

Stas: He didn't want to come. He told me what happened. That's why I'm asking you lol but anyways come. Kels and I need someone to talk about girls stuff :)

After being indecisive about going to Stas' or not I decided to go. After all, making new friends can lead me to know more point of views about whether going to college or not and why.

I knock the door and after a few seconds Mike opens it for me.

"Come on in." He smiles and leads me to the living room where everyone is.

"We're watching a Dodgers game right now." He says sitting in the couch along with the rest of the boys whose eyes are glued to the enormous tv screen.

"Becca!" Stas comes to me and hugs me tightly. "I'm glad you came." She smiles. She has been so nice with me since we met and I already like her so much.

"Hello." Kels comes from behind and gives me a peck on the cheek. "Want some wine?" She hands me a glass full of wine. These girls drink.

"Actually, I kind of need to use the bathroom." I say with shyness.