EIGHT

💸 WHO'S WORKING WHO 💸

I lie on the beach waiting for the agent to arrive. J sits on a towel about twenty feet from me.

"I'm surprised your dad hasn't dragged your ass home," the agent towers over me. I sit up and drink my beer right in front of him.

"I'd like to see him try," I gesture to the towel next to me, "please, take a seat." He is a handsome man compared to his colleagues, and not that old either, so the situation isn't as creepy as it could be. I glance over at J who watches intently behind his sunglasses.

"So tell me, what's happened since we last saw each other?" It takes everything in me to keep from laughing at the confident look on in face.

I frown, he thinks he can work me better if I'm unhappy with my situation, "I got a bit fucked up at my last fight, I know I told you that, and I'm still hurting pretty bad. I have to fight again next week."

"Can't you reschedule the fight?"

I shake my head, "No, there's too much money tied up in it."

"Legal money?"

"I don't know," I laugh, "how would I know?"

"I know how you'd know," he smiles and leans in to kiss me slowly.

"I don't know anything," I blush, "I swear to God."

"You can tell me," he murmurs in a sickly sweet way, "it's completely safe to talk to me."

"I'll talk to you when you show me that you have concrete evidence against my father," I lean back on my elbows, "which, in case you didn't catch on, is fancy speak for never. My father is a lawyer, that's all he does, so why can't you just enjoy your time with me without all the silly questions?"

"I am enjoying my time with you, Hunter, I'm just concerned about your wellbeing," bullshit, "You shouldn't be fighting in the state you're in just because there are some bad elements mixed up in it all."

"If I truly didn't want to fight, I wouldn't, and if I truly believed you had something against my father, I would spill, but I can't help but think that neither of those things will ever happen. Now, stop talking about work and just relax," I lean in and kiss him again.

"Why don't you just move down here for good?"

I roll my eyes, "It's too dangerous."

He raises an eyebrow in suspicion, "Is that why you have that guy staring us down? Is he your bodyguard?"

"He's here because I'm too tempting to kidnap," I pause, "and it's foolish of you to think I only have one."

"I could take care of you," he places a hand on my hip. "I promise."

"And my offer still stands, show me your compelling evidence against my father and I'll move in a heartbeat."

"What if that evidence is classified?"

I shrug, "Then I'd have to say goodbye. Surely that wouldn't matter if testimony from myself wasn't your only evidence, though."