SEVENTEEN

💸 FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS 💸

... yes I thought of this while listening to for whom the bell tolls... what about it??

Aside from making a few suggestions to his uncles, J's been quiet since we arrived back at the compound. I decided to stay with him for tonight as opposed to going back to my apartment, because I figured he would want someone to talk to, but he's barely said a word to me. I can tell he's glad to have me around though because he holds my hand while we sit by the pool.

He smokes a cigarette. I've never seen him smoke before, and I know he must be troubled if he's doing it now.

I narrow my eyes when I see Angela approaching. She's such a fucking leech, I can't understand why J hasn't done something about her yet, and I can't understand why Pope insists upon keeping her around. I squeeze J's hand a little tighter as she draws near.

She kisses his ass. She's trying to turn everyone against each other and it's painfully obvious.

She shifts her focus to me, "I heard you saved Pope, that was pretty brave, running into the firefight."

I shrug, "It was the right thing to do. I try my best to think of others, unlike yourself."

"You think you can replace Smurf?" She sneers.

I laugh, "Why would I want to be Smurf when I am already a thousand times more powerful than she will ever be? If you want to take the old hag's place, be my guest. It won't be easy when no one respects you."

She scowls at me, "You really think you've achieved something by being on Daddy's payroll."

"Baby," I smirk, "I think you're just jealous. Now shut up and fuck right off before I kill you."

"You're a brat."

"A brat who can make a bum like you disappear," I get up out of my chair and turn to face her, "so do as I say Ange, it's in your best interest. Last I checked, I'm the hero of the day, not you. I saved your little pet not once, but twice today, so get the hell out of my face."

"Are you going to let her talk to me like this, J?"

"Yes," he answers calmly, "leave us alone." She storms off and I sit back down quietly. "So why didn't you run when I told you to?"

"I was about to," I murmur, "but then the shooting started, and it just felt wrong to leave Pope like that. We both went in there blind and he deserved to get out just as much as I did."

"You should've run, he could've handled it."

"And what if he couldn't, J? That would've been on my conscience. The blood would be on my hands."

"My uncles deserve nothing," he whispers, "they've depended on Smurf their entire lives. They have to fend for themselves now."

I roll my eyes, "And I assume you think you're just going to swoop in and take over? Respect is a two way street, love. They'll never let you lead if you don't give two shits about them. They'll only work for someone they feel they can depend on."

"And what makes you so knowledgeable?" He looks scornfully at me. I don't know what his problem is.

"I've seen a lot of empires rise and fall, and respect is the foundation of all of them. If you build respect, the empire is strong, but when respect begins to crumble, the empire does too," I bite my lip, "And like I said before, respect is always a two way street. I've seen a lot of cocky young heirs get overthrown because they don't have an ounce of respect for their underlings. Smurf got away with treating everyone like shit because she made them all feel like they absolutely couldn't survive without her. Until you achieve that, you have to have some regard for your uncles," I pause, "And if you want to keep arguing with me like I'm some idiot, then I'll leave and let you sort this shit on your own."