TWELVE

💸 TRUTH HURTS 💸

I don't think my father cares for the surveillance on J all that much, so all of the reports are coming to me first, and then I'm supposed to tell him if there's anything important. Our surveillance specialist bugged his apartment with ease yesterday, and now I just have to wait to see what it gets.

It's not that I think he's being disloyal to my family, or putting us in danger intentionally. I think he's just trying to show that he's strong and can take care of things on his own, but if he's in over his head, then it has the potential to put my father and I at risk, especially if this person disapproves of me in particular.

My heart sinks when I see an email with a video clip attached titled 'J SURVEILLANCE'. My hand shakes as it hovers over the touchpad on my laptop. I'm scared that we got something this quickly. I can feel my throat starting to tighten when I see a girl in the video.

When are you going to see her again? The girl asks.

I'm taking her to get lunch tomorrow. J answers. They're talking about me. She's finally feeling well enough to get out a little.

Well that's just lovely, the girl replies in a sickly sweet tone, poor thing really got banged up.

Yeah, she just got the chest tube out. He looks uneasy.

I still think you're too fond of her, she hisses.

I'm not, he insists, it's just business.

My jaw clenches in anger. How dare he? This goes beyond lying about being in trouble. He's lying about his feelings toward me.

Prove it, she takes a step closer to him. They're standing too close, prove to me that you don't feel anything for her, J.

I squeeze my eyes shut when he leans in to kiss her, but then force them back open. This is business. I have to be able to stomach it. I watch blankly. I don't even know what to feel right now. I understand I haven't known him that long, and it would be silly to call what we have a relationship, but I trusted him. I put my life in his hands and told him things that I've barely told anyone. I feel betrayed, mostly.

They move to another room and the camera switches to a view of what seems like a makeshift bedroom. I keep watching, despite my horror and feeling like I'm going to throw up. When he finally rolls off her onto the bed, I shut my laptop. Enough. I'll let him take me out to lunch tomorrow, and I won't tell my father what happened just yet, but I'm going to give him hell. He's using me, and I'm not letting him get away with that.

💸💸💸

I put on a fake smile as I climb into his truck to go to lunch.

"You look good," he remarks.

I nod, "I'm feeling good," he pulls out of the driveway, "Where are we going?"

"You'll see," he smirks, "I think you'll like it."

I raise my eyebrows, "A surprise? I don't like surprises."

"You'll like this one, I think," his eyes are locked on the road. I can see the guilt in his expression.

I decide to give him one last chance to redeem himself, "Is everything okay? You look troubled."

"Yeah, everything's fine," he lies, "I'm just worried about you pushing too hard too soon."

"I've done absolutely nothing for weeks," I bite the inside of my cheek, "I'm perfectly fine to go get lunch with you. I'm pretty sure you know that. I'd tell you if I wasn't feeling well."