THIRTEEN

This song isn't really related to this chapter but I like it and it reminds me of Hunter

💸💸💸

💸 THE DEVIL WEARS VERSACE 💸

"So," my father begins, "I'll hold onto your money until you handle your problem, and as soon as everything's taken care of, business can resume as usual. However, if the girl talks and word gets out about what you did, there will be consequences. Do you understand?"

J nods, "Yes, thank you."

"I'm glad we could come to an understanding," I watch intently as the two men exchange words, "I understand the position you're in, you're still young and scrappy and thought you could play everyone and their mother, I was the same way," he pauses and glances between the two of us, "I understand you and Hunter have some things to discuss, so she can walk you out."

I rise from my seat at the table and so does he. I don't make eye contact. I feel bad for being harsh with him earlier, and I do recognize that I may have overreacted, but I'm still hurt about what he said about me, more so about that than the things he did. I understand we weren't in an exclusive relationship necessarily, but saying that I was just business, even if he was lying, still stings.

"I don't expect you to forgive me," he mumbles as we walk out to the driveway.

"Thank you," I reply.

"But I do really like you, and pulling that bullshit without telling you was stupid."

I clench my jaw, "It was so painful to watch."

"I know," we stop at his truck and he looks at the ground, "I've just never had someone who completely trusts me before, I guess I didn't know how to act, you know?"

"Yeah," I breathe, "I'll see you around," I turn to go back towards the house.

"Hunter," he calls out, "I feel terrible, is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

I look over my shoulder, "I would really just like some space, but call me when you're going to do it, I'll help. We can go on from there."

He accepts that answer, "So, see you then, I guess..."

"See you then."

💸💸💸

"How are things with you and that girl you told me about?" Smurf asks, "I feel like you haven't gone to LA in ages."

"We're taking a break," I reply, "Things just moved kind of fast with us and she wanted to slow down."

"That's smart," she nods, "but you know, she shouldn't be making all the decisions in your relationship."

"We both agreed on it."

"Do you miss her?"

He shrugs, "Yeah, a bit. We haven't spoken in a while, I just want to know how she's doing."

"You're worried about her?"

He shakes his head, "Not really, I'd just like to check in, but she wants space, so that's what I'm giving her."

💸💸💸

Two months have passed since I last heard from J. He's respected my wishes for space, and I'm grateful for that. I'm at a nightclub when I finally get the message from him.