nine

Your P.O.V

It has been a few weeks since your birthday and things seemed to be going well for the both of you.

Taehyung kept true to his promise of not ignoring you, and you found yourself more relaxed in his presence day by day.

One evening he called you into his study.

You thought perhaps this was just another one of his ruses for sex. But when you entered with a playful smile, that notion was quickly replaced by something far more sinister.

Taehyung looked serious and stoic stood behind his desk.

"My father has passed away suddenly."

The words fell on you like bricks. You stepped towards him, wanting to comfort him. The dangerous glint in his eyes told you that was a bad idea. So you stayed where you were.

"What happened?"

"There was a raid at one of our warehouses. Vital information has somehow been breached. We lost a lot of men." Taehyung tugged a hand through his hair, "This means that I will now become the new leader of Bangtan."

You shivered. You knew it would always come to this, but you never imagined it would be so soon. Taehyung's father had always made it clear that he wanted to slowly ease his son into the role of leadership, but now it seemed your husband had no choice.

"Do you know who did it?"

Taehyung shook his head, "Yoongi and Jungkook are working on trying to find out."

There was a beat of silence as you absorbed all the information you'd just been given. You were barely eighteen, and now you were going to be wife to the most powerful man in Bangtan.

The truth was, you were frightened.

"Taehyung," You chewed on your bottom lip, "What does this mean for us?"

His eyes darkened. He almost glared at you.

"For us?" He quirked a brow, "That's the last thing on my mind right now, Y/N."

The words stung, of course. But you weren't sure what you had expected.

Taehyung had been kinder recently, but he still hadn't vocalised the depths of his feelings towards you. You knew that you were falling harder every day, but you were never sure where your husband stood.

And now he had just confirmed your deepest fear.

Nothing had changed.

"And my personal bodyguard?" Your voice quivered.

He rolled his shoulders back, "Hoseok has appointed one of his most trusted men." There was a hint of something darker behind his tone. You detected some level of uncertainty, but you didn't want to comment on it.

Hadn't he been the one who was so adamant you received the best protection?

Why was he changing his mind? Surely now that he was the leader of Bangtan, your life was in even more danger. You sighed heavily.

What did it matter? As soon as you thought you had any idea on what was going on inside Taehyung's head, he surprised you.

Now he was shutting you out.

"Alright."

You waited for a moment. Taehyung's eyes were focused on a spot just above your head. He seemed tense.

"Are you okay?" You whispered, wanting to help.

When he turned towards you, his gaze was sharp like flint.