07. at the heart of it is forgiveness

+++

+++

ARIEL LOOKED IN THE MIRROR ONE LAST TIME, SMOOTHING OUT HER RED DRESS. Today was Christmas, it was the first holiday without Kol in a while. She felt alone, but was still able to manage herself since he still was alive, just not in the right mindset.

"You look great," Asher said from the doorway to her room.

She smiled lightly. "Thanks you, Ash." She turned to him, feeling as if she should get something off of her shoulders. "I'm sorry if I've seen off lately; I don't blame you for anything, I just don't know what to do with Kol."

"It's okay," Asher reassures. "To be honest, I thought you did hate me because Kol took my spot, but I'm glad to hear that."

She hugged her brother, a true genuine gesture ever since she got him back. They decided to go downstairs where Caroline and Stefan were hosting a Christmas party. This was also Stefan's last twenty four hours of freedom, something Ariel wasn't looking forward to.

Ariel stopped on the stairs when she saw Sybil and Damon sitting down in the chairs, Caroline serving them eggnog.

"Ah, my two favorite angels!" Damon held up his glass to them. "Glad you guys could join us."

"Where's the alcohol?" Ariel asked Caroline.

"I'll get us more, we'll need it." Caroline eyed Damon as she went to the kitchen to make more drinks.

"Ric's going to stay with the girls for a while." Stefan comes downstairs to join everyone.

"You don't have to hide them from me," Damon tells him. "I'm honoring the deal. We work for Cade. Munchkins go unharmed."

"Well, Ric's not exactly in a trusting mood right now," Stefan informs him, "and uh, neither am I."

"My sister kidnapped them. I saved them from a life of serving Cade when I cosigned Damon's plan." Ariel rolls her eyes as Sybil tries to justify her actions. "So put away your umbrella Stefan, I don't need your shade. A simple thank you will suffice."

"For what? Ruining peoples lives–"

"Thank you." Caroline came in just in time so Ariel wouldn't spark a fight with them. She handed Ariel her drink. "She's right. You can't fault one sibling for the sins of the other."

Ariel sipped on her drink, not even hearing the door open. Asher slightly pushed her behind him. She turned around, Kol walking in.

"Am I late?" Kol asked as he set his coat on the hangar.

Damon smiled, going up to him and shaking his hand. "Just in time."

The angel walked outside to the vast backyard, not wanting to deal with anything that was going on inside. However, Kol followed her, wanting to still be by her.