chapter fifteen

C H A P T E R   F I F T E E N
•  •  •

The following morning, I woke up and stretched out in bed and didn't feel my cold wall against my back as usual. My movements halted.

I sat upright, confused. But then, remembering everything all at once, I stared at the ceiling with a stupid grin on my face.

The shower could be heard coming from the bathroom but too exhausted for joining him in the shower, I snuggled back into bed. I cringed slightly at the pain as I moved my legs under the covers. As if there'd be anything there, I had a peak underneath. Nothing. And yet, I could definitely feel where Miller had been last night and into the early hours of that day.

My phone wasn't too far off, so I reached for it whilst keeping my body on the bed.

5.30 it read. The ungodly hour wasn't what had a wave of guilt rushing through me, though. That was strictly reserved for the umpteen messages and missed calls from Kate.

Hurriedly, I called back. I raised the phone to my ear, cautious for a tirade of abuse that would be hurled down the phone — all of which I deserved.

"You fucking idiot!" she said down the phone, having picked up just as the rings were about to stop. "Do you realise how worried I was?"

I cringed in shame. "I'm sorry, really," I said, then finding a grin on my face. "Guess who I went home with."

"I don't even want to know I was worried si—" There was a moment of silence. "Who? Wait. Miller? You went home with Miller Dreyton?" My silence was answer enough. I could hear her smiling as she spoke. "I thought I was the whore of this household."

As if she could see me, I shrugged. "Not anymore." I became aware that I could no longer hear the shower running. "I'm going to have to go, but I'll be home after work."

"Don't rush home," she told me. "If Miller offers, hop on it." She paused, recounting what she'd said. "Literally."

I laughed. "I don't think I've got it in me for any of that stuff for a while."

"I see how it is." I could feel her sleezy winking even through the phone. "See you later, darling. Bye!" I said my own farewell, before putting down the phone.

"Who was that?"

I turned, my hand on my racing heart. Miller stood with only a towel to cover him, and even that was hanging very low on his hips. Of course, I wasn't complaining about the lack of clothes. Seeing his abdomen and chest, each so tantalising defined, was the best wake up sight I could ask for.

I shook my mind into action. "It was Kate. I forgot to tell her I wasn't coming home last night."

He came to stand in front of me. "Sleep well?"

I gave him the look. "For the few hours that I did actually sleep," I said, staring up at his dark eyes. "Yes, I did." I took the liberty in running my fingers over his exposed skin, feeling every dip and crevice. The sight alone would have been enough to have me pulsing but touching was more than. Work, I reminded myself. "I need a shower."

I stood up and he pulled me so we were chest to chest. "You could've had one with me."

Don't tempt me. "I wouldn't be able to walk," I told him, honestly, making him smile proudly. I was struggling enough as it was, feeling sore and tender. "Besides, we both have work."