Chapter 3

Slowly I walked over to the man who smiled at me warmly.

"Hello. My name is Marcus Schmidt. You must be Lia." he said in a friendly tone.

Shyly I nodded my head.

"I'm the father of the household. My wife and my son are waiting for us at home.I will take your suitcase if it is okay for you?"

"Yes sure." I answered,wondering why he spoke English  as I had expected him to speak only german with me.

We walked to his car in silence. The drive to his house was also mostly silent, expect for him asking me some causal questions like: "How was your flight?" or "Have you ever been to Germany?" I answered all of them polietly and started to get more and more comfortable around him. I knew he wanted to keep the conversation going, so I would feel welcome.

As we parked in the driveway  infront of a house I got nervous again. Marcus must have noticed.

"You don't have to be nervous! They're really nice and can't wait to finally meet you." I smiled at him lightly for the first time and jumped out of the car. He walked  me to the front door and asked if I was ready to go in and meet the family. Signaling him that I was, we went inside. 

Entering the kitchen we were greeted by a woman with short brown hair and a tall skinny figure.  She smiled down at me I assumed she was Marcus' wife.

"Welcome Lia, it's nice to meet you. I'm Lauren. Hope you had a good flight. Dinner will be ready in an hour, so if you want we can bring your things into your new room. It's upstairs ,the first door on the right side." I agreed and went upstairs  with my suitcase.

I stood in front of the door that should lead me to my new room when a door to a room right next to mine opened.

A boy looked shyly around the corner and smiled a little.He had to be the son of Lauren and Marcus. My new so called 'brother'. He had brown hair just like his mother aswell as brown eyes. He inspected me from head to toe,he then focused on my luggage. I smiled back at him and hesitantly he walked towards me. "Hey." he said barely above a whisper. "Hi." I replied. " Uhm.." he began but quickly turned around running back into his room.

"Did I do something wrong?" I thought to myself but soon that thought turned into another one:

"Maybe he just isn't able to speak english."

So not really wasting a thoughton it anymore I stepped into my new bedroom and looked around. I really likedd what I saw I couldn't deny it. They tried to make it look like a typical american bedroom. A huge bed and closet with huge cupboards making everything look very cosy. A mint green paint made the room look a lot lighter than it originally was.

I smiled to myself and started to put everything in my new closet when I heard a soft knock on my door. It was Marcus and hiding behind him was the boy. He looked at me  and then up at his father.

Marcus spoke up: "Jake just told me what happened. He is sorry if he hurt you with his action. He wanted to talk to you but he doesn't speak english so he got a little scared and ran away."

The boy looked at the floor whyly. He looked very sad but I didn't think he should be. I mean, it wasn't his problem. He was probably a year or two younger than me and so I could tell he wasn't in school yet. I walked over to him and took his hand in mine. He looked up at me with tears in his eyes.

I hugged him and said: "It's alright. You don't need to be sad. I knew you don't speak my language so I don't mind you walking away." His father translated it for him and Jake pulled away from the hug, now smiling at me saying: "Okay."

He then helped me to unpack and soon dinner was ready. We went downstairs where I had my first meal with my new 'family'.

Lauren had prepared chicken with salad and potatoes. It tasted delicious. "Do you like it?" Lauren asked. "Yes it tastes really good!" I told her with a huge grin on my face. "I'm glad you like it."

 After we finished eating me and Jake helped her washing the dishes. After that we sat down on the couch together watching some cartoon and I didn't really understand what they were saying but it still seemed to be really funny.
Around 9pm Marcus thought it was enough for us and sent us to bed which I in contrast to Jake appreciated. We both walked upstairs and Jake hugged me tight saying: "Good Night" "Good Night" I told him and we went into our rooms each.

I lay down in my bed and directly thought about home. Silently I started crying and thought about Louis and Zayn. What were they possibly doing right now? The welcome here in germany and my care family, both was great but still, they weren't my family and this wasn't my home.

I turned, now looking at the picture of my family in New York which I put up on my nightstand. I put it under my pillow and closed my eyes, soon drifting into a deep sleep.