#1

Chapter One - Unedited

You know the feeling you get when you know something terrible is going to happen? When you know that your life is ending? Okay, I'm just exaggerating, but I had this bad feeling that something was going to happen. I just didn't know what and when.

I knew I was different, I'd seen how people look at me. I thought it would change when I got to college, but heck, even dogs didn't like me. It was always a mystery why; maybe it was because I always kept to myself, or maybe because my eyes changed color because of my mood, or maybe because I had the sharpest hearing. I just didn't know what it is about me.

I had one friend, the old man next door, Mr Matthews. It all started one day when I came back from school in seventh grade and found that I dropped the key on my way home. I'd set outside my house talking to myself. No, I was scolding myself for being careless. Mr Matthews had called me into his home and offered me some lunch and listened to me rant endlessly about my school dilemmas. From then, he has been nothing but good to me.

As for boyfriends, I had none. I'd tried a few relationships, but they never worked out because it didn't really take me one week to get bored and eventually I stopped trying. You see, I was a hopeless case.

"Eleanor dinner is ready!" Mom yelled from downstairs, louder than necessary. I rolled off the bed and stumbled into my bathroom.

Looking in the mirror, I winced when I took in my appearance. My brown hair was sticking in different directions, my green eyes were bloodshot and my slightly tan skin was pale, I looked like a ghost, a hideous ghost.

"Eleanor!" Mom yelled again, pulling me out of my misery. I didn't understand why she was always yelling, I'm sure I was able of hearing her even if she whispered all the way from downstairs. My hearing capabilities were phenomenal.

I splashed some water onto my face and used my hand to comb my messy hair and went downstairs.

My house was nothing fancy, yes my parents always had good-paying jobs, but my father always believed that all we needed is each other, not some big house. I wasn't complaining; I loved this house. Walking into the kitchen, I found mom stirring the pot.

"I thought dinner was ready," I said to her. She turned her head to glare at me.

"Stop talking and set up the table," she ordered, and I did just that, taking plates to our dining room where I found dad patiently waiting for his food.

"Hey dad." I greeted him. My father was in his 40s and had a stable job as a geologist. Honestly, there was nothing stable about his job. He was always miles away, digging up something, somewhere.

"Hey kid, how is it going?" he asked.

"Its alright." I told him.

Both my parents didn't look like me, honestly the only similarities were my dad's dark brown hair, otherwise I looked nothing like them. Dad's eyes were gray, moms were blue, and she had blond hair, none of which I had. It didn't bother me much, what was important is that they loved me.

After helping mom set the table, we sat down and said grace before we started eating. It was the usual dinner; we talked about work, college and everything in between. Dad even asked when I was getting myself a boyfriend, mom even went further suggesting that I was gay.

"Really mom?" I groaned, dropping my folk.

"I haven't seen you with anyone before, so I just assumed you know..." she argued.

"And there is nothing wrong with that, we will love you anyway." Dad interjected. Oh God.

"I'm straight," I said, glaring at both of them. I had nothing against gay people or being gay, I just wasn't one.