Chapter nine: Eustace the dragon

Scarlet felt numb to say the least. Eustace had been more than a pain in all of their behinds – a pain that had been challenging particularly both her and Edmund's sense of self-control more than once, but he was still family. She hadn't realized how nauseous she had been since they entered the valley until now where Edmund had picked up the remains of Eustace's shoe. Scarlet and Caspian had merely followed Edmund around as the teen wandered in a trance of grief and guilt

"No!" Scarlet cringed at the agony in Edmund's voice when they found a smoking pile of Eustace's clothes and his notebook. Caspian and Scarlet knelt beside Edmund, Scarlet purposely so close to her father that she functioned as a supporting pillar to him.

"Oh, cousin." Edmund muttered to himself all the while looking sadly upon the stuff before them.

''Dad" Scarlet uttered sadly, all the while she stubbornly tried to blink the tears away, placing a hand on Edmund's shoulder. In turn, Scarlet felt Caspian's hand give her arm a squeeze.

"I'm sorry." He said to the both of them in a similar sad manner. "He was just a boy." Edmund spoke, looking sadly at the blasted notebook before his sad gaze wandered upwards. "I never should have left him."

"We are all just kids again, dad." Scarlet soothed him. "You didn't leave him. He wandered off by himself. It's no one's fault."

"What could have happened to him?" Edmund questioned next after having shared a look with Scarlet – a look that was both grateful but also stubborn with guilt. Scarlet noticed Caspian's gaze wander behind them.

"What are you thinking?" Scarlet questioned her fiance softly.

"In this place? Anything." Caspian said and stood up, walking cautious – yet determinedly towards a skeleton where the clothes hadn't completely withered. "And he wasn't the first."

Having looked at the skeleton for a short while, Caspian concluded, "It's Lord Octesian." Meanwhile, Scarlet had noticed a sword out of the blue, placed a little way from Caspian.

"We should find his...." Scarlet stopped Caspian's comment as the king turned around and found that Scarlet already had found it. "...sword." Caspian finished.

Scarlet unsheathed it and looked at the long sword with a mix between admiration and awe. She could see herself in a blurred version reflected in the sword's blade, when suddenly another strange feeling of nausea overwhelmed her. She didn't notice the concerned and suspicious look Caspian sent her as she and Edmund passed him on their way out of there; nor did she notice the green smoke that was almost invisibly trailing her feet.

They hadn't walked for long before they heard a sound that sent shivers down Scarlet's spine. All of them stopped abruptly and looked at each other for confirmation that they had heard the same thing. A roar from a dragon.

The second roar caused them to run as they all thought the same thing. The rest of the crew. Lucy and Gael on board the Dawn Treader. Scarlet tried to follow Edmund in front as well as she could, but it became a middle stance thing as she also wanted to make sure she was close to Caspian, who fell a little behind suddenly. She was walking fast with her back turned towards Caspian when a powerful amount of wind suddenly emerged above her all the while she suddenly found herself being tackled to the ground by Caspian.

Scarlet barely registered what had just happened before she felt herself being picked up by something.

''Scarlet!'' 

Edmund turned slowly towards Caspian after having made sure that the dragon wouldn't come back. His heart rate was increasing; he was scared. 

As she tried to struggle, she could hear her father, aunt and husband call for her name. The dragon moved her to a volcano when her eyes widened.