●a year ago (millie imagine)●

millie's p.o.v

i didn't win.

i've been trying extra hard for this year's oscar’s, and it was all for nothing.

i walk down the empty street in a fancy pink dress, i look really out of place.
it was empty, really empty. everyone was inside celebrating about zendaya's win.

tears poured down my cheeks.

"i'm such a baby." i mutter to myself, angrily wiping away the tears.

"i don't think you're a baby." an angelic voice days from behind me.

i whip around, my pony tail hitting my cheek.

y/n l/n.

she was in 13 reasons why, i love her in it. she also won an oscar today. she deserves it, i don't.

"y-y/n, hey. i don't believe we've met i'm-" i say before being cut off.

"millie bobby brown, i know. big fan." she slightly smiles.

"y-yeah." i say awkwardly.

"i idolise you quite a lot, not gonna lie." she says walking towards me.

she's wearing a pretty purple and white lace dress with matching shoes. she's also wearing very little makeup, something i love about her, she accepts herself. two white charm bracelets are on her left wrist as well. she always wears them. it's iconic.

"come on, let's sit." she says sitting on the curb, her legs on the isolated road.

i awkwardly sit next to her, feeling embarrassed.

"i get it." y/n spoke, staring up at the starry night sky. "i didn't win a year ago, i was really upset, but you know what?"

she makes eye contact with me and smiles.

that damn smile is going to be the death of me.

"what?" i mutter.

"i tried harder." she says, placing her warm hand on top of mine. "i didn't let it get me down anymore. now, see what has happened to me. i won. i freaking won, and you can do the same next year too, mills. you've just got to try."

y/n suddenly stands up, her hand leaving mine.

she takes off one of her bracelets and places it next to me.

she crouches down and lightly kisses my cheek before walking off down the lit up street.

i watch her as she fades from view.

i look down to see one of her charm bracelet. i carefully pick it up and put it onto my wrist.

a perfect fit.

i did exactly what she told me to do.

you've got to just try.

i fiddle with my charm bracelet as i finish telling the story.
i won.

i glance at the crowd until i spot her.

y/n l/n.

she looked proud, really proud.

i noticed that she's wearing the matching bracelet.

i smile down at her as she does the same.

we had never spoken since the day, exactly a year ago, but that was all going to change today.

it's currently the after party and i decide to take a walk down the same street where i met y/n.

"i thought i'd see you here." the nostalgic voice says.

i look to see y/n sitting on the same curb, in the same position as that night a year ago.

"that's why i came." i respond, sitting next to her.

"nice bracelet." she smirks.

"do you want it b-" i start, yet she cuts me off, like last year.

"no, i gave it to you for a reason." she looks at the starry night sky, like she did a year ago.

we sit in a comfortable silence until i decide to break it.

"why didn't you call me, or at least text me?" i say staring at the slightly older girl.

"good question, but i can't answer that." she responds.

"you're very mysterious, aren't you, l/n?" i say to her.

"that i am, brown." she smiles.

that damn smile, it still kills me.

"do you ever want to run away?" she asks sighing.

"yeah, all the time. why?" i ask, curious.

"i want to leave. i'm done with all this fame crap. when i'm finished with all of 13 reasons why, i'm gone. poof." she turns to me.

"i want to come with you." i say without thinking.

y/n looks slightly shocked.

"i mean it. when i'm done with stranger things and you're done with 13 reasons why, we can disappear, like a cloud of smoke. if that's what you want." i add.

"you would really do that?" she asks, her eyes full of hope.

"of course, i would do anything for you." i say blushing.

she leans forward and locks lips with me. i feel fireworks go off in my stomach and i'm positive she feels it too.

i suddenly feel very grateful for not winning last year, i would not be here with y/n, the love of my life.

and it all started exactly a year ago...