5. Secrets revealed

Marco POV

As I tucked Mariposa to bed I started to think back to what star wanted to say and show me. She was acting so weird. She was panting when she knocked at the door and hugged me along with Mariposa. She was relieved as something might have happened. It's like she knew something? As I turned on Mariposa night light I headed to my room to find some clothes to shower quickly. After my shower I decided to go walk on the dock and look around. I know what I saw and it was a mermaid. It had to be. The tail was so beautiful and I really thought they didnt exist. I sat down as I looked up at the sky and sigh. I wasn't able to watch the stars properly because of Mariposa outburst.

Wait? Now that I think about it star was in her swimwear when she came over. She was slightly wet. I find it pretty fishy that she said she had family issue but had time to swim. I groan a bit but I saw her mother pick her up and was really serious. Maybe star needed a quick swim to not be so stressed. That could also be it too. I sigh as I started to walk back inside as I do I noticed over at stars she on her dock talking to someone. Maybe her mom? But from my angle it didnt look like it and by the looks of it she was arguing with them. Maybe family. Now I get it. Family matter. I shrug it off and head to bed.

~

I set my alarm at 5 am so it gave me time to meet star at our hangout. I was a little excited to hear and what she needed to say. Maybe she's going to confess to me. Oh my God! Is that it?! She's going to tell me how she feels? I started to turn red as I quickly ran faster to our place. As I finally make it there was star. She was in her oversized teal hoodie as her hair was in a braid. "You came." I nodded feeling a bit nervous. "Yeah. My best friend wanted me to." She smiles as she takes a deep breath. "Can you promise me you won't be upset with me?" I was a bit confused. "Upset? Why would I be upset with you? Star you're my best friend." She sighs as a small smile appears. "Marco, I wanted to tell you this the moment we have became friends. Now I feel like I have to tell you because it isnt fair." I tilted my head as she pulled the hoodie off and I blushed and covered my eyes.

"S-star?! What are you-!" I felt her hands on my hand as she removed it. "Relax alright." She said softly as she pulled me towards the deeper part of the waterfall. She stops as she starts to walk backwards into the water. I was a little worried and a bit confused cause she stripped her hoodie and was only in her underwear. As she disappeared I got a bit scared until she popped up and was breathing hard. "Now Marco. Promise me you won't get mad." I nodded. "Of course and you're scaring me star why are you acting weird?" She giggles as she turns and goes under and there. The same blue tail I saw last night. But it couldn't be. Star is a mermaid? No? But maybe? She came towards me as she looked up at me with slight worry.

"Marco, I'm a mermaid. I'm super sorry I had to keep this secret away from you but I had to.." she paused a bit maybe hesitant. "Had to? Why?" I asked calmly still looking at her giant tail as it sways. "Yesterday. A siren was luring Mariposa to the water. I saw when you caught her before she even got close." I gasp thinking about it. "I watched from the bouy by the house. I scared it away. I wanted to cry Marco. It was wrong and horrible." I kneeled as I was close to her face. She was still beautiful and was still my best friend. How can I be upset about that? I held her face as she looked up at me. "I'm just glad you're alright. Sirens are deadly." She sighs and nods.

"Turns out mermaids could turn into them if choosing the wrong path." I raised a brow at her. "What do you mean?" "Mermaids of any kind can turn evil basically. The siren I shooed away came to my home. She told me about it and even warned me. Marco you have to be careful who you talk with. That siren can disguise herself as us. When she was in human form she looked completely different and very alluring.." star was splashing her tail as she was getting upset. "Hey, relax alright. I'll be careful just tell how she looks like?" She nods as she takes a deep breath. "She has long black dreadlocks and has it tied in a bun. She has tan skin and eyes blue as the sky. Shes really tall and is wearing a red dress. She is also barefoot all the time."

I nodded. "Gotcha. Barefoot?" She nods. "Sirens tend to be barefoot so they have better access to getting into open water. Mermaids usually look like their human forms. Like me. I was born one so I'm different but I heard people are turning into mermaids as well. Weird right?" "Very. So sirens don't wear don't shoes. They wear the same outfits. Can act odd." Star got out of the water as she went back to her human form and pulled her hoodie on. "Let's go Marco. I don't want to stay here any longer." She grabbed my hand as she pulled us. I felt my heart race a bit at the contact. I wanted to confess to her but I don't think I should. "Alright I came here swimming. Since you took your dad's canoe we ride that back." I smiled as we got on. Wow what a secret to hold on to.