7. Date with a Mermaid

Marco POV

I jumped onto my bed with the biggest smile I could ever pull. I finally had the guts to ask Star out. I honestly thought she would say no and say she didn't want to ruin the friendship. "Marco? Can we talk?" I sat up and walked towards my door to see my mother look worried. "What's wrong?" She looks at me and smiles. "You sure look in a good mood." I chuckled. "I am Má. The girl I've been chasing has finally agreed to go out with me." Mom hugged me and squealed a bit as I chuckled. "Má chill. It's just one date." She sighs. "One of many." I smirked at her. "So star finally said yes?" I nodded. "Yeah she said yes. I was a bit nervous she would say no because of family stuff." My mother holds my face as she sighs. "Star isnt like your last girlfriend. Star is a keeper Marco. Very unique and beautiful in her own way." Oh yeah I know that. "Can I go to bed now?" She nods as she kissed my head and went towards her room. My mom is like my personal shipper. She has been wanting me to be with star since we were kids. I never saw star that way until she helped me with my break up with Jackie. Since then my crush on star blossomed and it's been hard to tell her how I feel.

~

As I waited for star at the front of my house for school she was taking awhile. I was a little worried maybe she doesnt want to see me. What if she said yes to make me feel better? I was starting to feel like an idiot as I heard the screen door open as she was rushing down pulling her hair in a high bun and had a half bagel hanging from her mouth. "Mmh." I gave her an odd look as she looked down at her bag. "Oh! Gotcha!" I took her bag as she finished tying her hair and took out the bagel. "Sorry I'm late. My mom kept asking me questions about our date." I blushed a bit cause this was real. "Is is bad?" She shook her head as she finished her bagel. "She just wants me back before it gets too late." I nod as I hand her bag back. "So, what are we gonna actually do at the beach?" She asked as she was teasing me. "That's a surprise. Also I can't give it away too soon. Just be ready at 6pm." She raised a brow. "Ugh fine. You're no fun." I pulled her under my arm as she giggles. I still couldn't believe I managed to get a date out of her.

~

I was preparing everything as soon as I got home. My mother and Mariposa were looking at me weird. "Bwrother?" "Yes he has finally lost it." I looked up and shook my head. "Ma. Have you seen one of my blankets we used for the beach the other day?" She points towards the laundry as I rushed. "Marco? Honey do you think you're overreacting this?" I gave her a weird look. "No. I just need to make it perfect for her." Mom held my face as Mariposa did the same. "You don't need to. Star likes you just the way you are. That's the only reason why she accepted your date. Relax and tone it done." I sigh and nod. "Okay."
I kissed mari nose as she giggled as mom kissed my cheek. "It will be fine." I nod as she left and I went back to frantic mode. I need it to be perfect. Even if it's just my best friend that I like. A lot. Oh boy..

~

I finally finished the last of my plan as I step back and smile brightly. Star is going to love this. I quickly rushed home and took a quick shower and got dressed and made sure to make it there before star did. As I reached the beach my eyes go wide as there are other people near my date idea. "Hey! That's my spot!" The people looked at me and scoffed as they ignored me. I grew upset as I ripped the blanket from underneath as they groan. "Hey! What's your problem?!" "Uh you and your friends are ruining my surprise date for a girl I like. You guys are all the food and even drank some of the wine i took my parents cabinet." The guy rolled his eyes. "Well sucks for you. Now beat it kid." I shot a glare at him as I managed to take some stuff. "Marco! I'm here!" I look behind and see star in a cute blue dress and her hair down. She looked beautiful.

"So? What's the surprise?" She said smiling as she looked at me. "Well..we were going to have a nice dinner under the stars but those idiots ruined it." Star lost her smile as she glared at them. "I'll be back Marco. Also I need you to cover your ears. Whatever you do don't uncover them." I nodded as I was confused. She stepped in front of me as she looked like she was singing? It was muffled to my ears but all I could hear were loud crying. As I looked ahead the guys that messed the plan up ran away holding their heads. After that star turned around and nods. I take my hands off my ear as she giggles. "I got rid of them." "How?" "Siren song. A haunting one." I gulp a bit. "Is that going to hurt them?" "Permanently? No. Just for a few hours." I chuckled as she held my hand. "Well, now we're alone. Also we can watch the stars." Her eyes glistened under the moon as I blushed. She was too cute. Why was she acting so adorable?