Chapter 17

Haylee's POV.
Rogues appeared from the forest. The men shifted into their wolves almost immediately. Johna snarled lowly at them, warning them to back down and leave our territory. Guess the rogue wolves weren't on the same page as us.

One of the wolves shifted back to human, holding out a pup by his shirt. The young boy whimpered softly when the man dropped him carelessly to the ground. Zander barred his teeth, and Bella growled furiously. I hate watching any pup suffer.

Therefore, I snarled in warning. The man smirked, pulling a young girl, around five, to her feet with a gun to her temple. She's part of my pack...

Before anyone could do anything, Bella and I shifted, running side by side. My spice brown, almost black, wolf sprinted right beside her white wolf in perfect sync. We barred our canines at the rogues who were frozen in shock, and the pups smiled with amazement.

I pounced at the rogue with the gun to the pup's head. That snapped everyone out of they're daze. Mal and shot forward at lightning speed, scooping up the pups before quickly retreating behind a building.

"Get out of here, Haylee!" Johna growled, ripping one of the rogue's throat out.

I bit into the male's neck, tasting his blood on the tip of my tongue. He howled in pain, shoving me off, which was a big mistake, for I tore a huge hunk of flesh from his neck.

The rogue before me howled in agony, collapsing to the ground. The rogues stared upon their dead companion before growling and exiting our territory. We all shifted back into our human forms.

Johna turned to me with dark eyes, and he snarled furiously at me. I narrowed my own eyes, sized him up, and barred my own canines. He was completely beyond furious.

Mal and Sam came out of the protection zone with the pups. The little boy ran to Bella and Zander, who were basically yipping with joy. Another little boy joined them. Those must be their sons. Lucky them.

"Why can't you listen, Haylee? I told you to leave the fight. What if he killed the pup, huh? What if he killed our unborn child? How would you feel? Our pup's death would be your fault because you just can't seem to listen to me. Are you trying to get our pup killed? 'Cause it seems that way," Johna snarled.

If I said I was hurt, that'd be an understatement. I was broken by his words, and tears formed in my eyes. I turned away from him, for I will never give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry. Would it really my fault if my pup got killed? Just because it's in my body?

"Is that how you feel, Mr.King?" I stated calmly. "Well fine. I guess I can leave now. If your pup lived and I didn't, would you be happy? At least happy enough?"

My mate looked taken aback, but my words mostly meant nothing to him. I can feel it through the bond. His heart got a dent, but nothing more. I turned to him and the others, and my eyes were burning with anger.

I swiftly turned on my heel, walking away. I needed to talk to his mother. Yup, you know what I mean. The one and only, former Queen Stera.