A Secret Worth Keeping

The familiar hospital walls closed in on Magnus as he sat down on the springy plastic covered seat, looking at his bent reflection.Catarina was seated at a leather chair in front of him, holding a huge stack of papers. Her facial expression read that she seemed to be worried about something.

It was three weeks, a Monday, after his last visit and now, he sat back in the hospital after being called by Catrina who told him she had a lot of things to discuss.

Due too her worrisome tone of voice over the phone, he knew it was more than serious.

Was he dying and this was the beginning affects? Did he not have his immortality anymore? Was he becoming mundane? To ease all of the questions he panicked, saying;

"Please spare us both the time and get on with it. Am I losing my powers? Will I become mundane? Is the sickness really that bad?"

Catarina shook her head at her overly dramatic friend, trying to suppress what was a grin, on her face. She stacked the papers again, looking through them curiously as though she'd been doing the same action over the past couple of weeks.

"What? If anything your not becoming mundane. Why would you lose your powers?"

Magnus didn't answer.

"More importantly with the sickness being gone, you look well."

If he looked, or rather, seemed to be well than what was he doing sitting on the hospital bed, or even in the hospital at all.

"Listen, if you wanted my attention to talk you could have called me. As they say I'm only a portal away~" But his attempt at joking had no affect on her as she kept the same absurd, annoyed look.

"Magnus."

"Oh." He stopped smiling noticing her firm expression grow stronger.

"From a scale on meow to meow, how high is the meow?"

She looked at him strangely, obliged to answer.

"A 100."

"Oh gosh."

If it didn't have nothing to do with him becoming a mundane or his immortality, than what could it possibly be?

She sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"I'll start from the beginning, but when I tell you, try to bear with me and please, believe every word I say. This will be a lot harder to get through if you don't."

"Ok." He wasn't sure on every word being true, though.

"So," She began,

"When you came to me the other day, I automatically knew something wasn't right, even if I had diagnosed it as a stomach flu and some minion sinus issues."

"Magnus, you looked terrible. To make matters worse, when I scanned your stomach, I found something rather interesting. It was unusual."

Magnus held his stomach, uncertain what her next words would be.

"So, I took it to some of the other warlock and downworlders who work here because as you know, the humans would flip out over something like this. We tried our best and worked non-stop those three weeks because we had too find out what was going on and you of all people know me. I wasn't going to let one of my friends go on without knowing the truth."