17 ► Snowball Fights and Second Base

Kristen scooped up a chunk of snow and started rounding it into a ball, not taking her eyes off of her date, Joey, who was currently talking to Dylan Richards. Why Joey talked to that slime ball, she didn’t know. However, it gave her a perfect opportunity to do what she had been wanting to do all year.

“Oi! Joey!” Kristen exclaimed, causing Joey to turn around.

She threw the snowball towards his face, which barely missed him because he had ducked. Instead, it smacked into Dylan Richards’ face. He looked extremely angry at her, but that was nothing new. So he just flipped her off and stormed away.

“Don’t flip her off, Richards!” Joey yelled at his friend, who ignored him.

Joey then turned to Kristen.

“What the bloody hell was that for?” he asked, giving her a nasty look.

“It’s called having fun, Joey,” Kristen replied, smiling, “You should try it sometime.”

His face got redder and for a second, she thought he was going to explode. However, he just mumbled, “Let’s get back to the castle.”

They continued up the path in silence for a while, until Joey decided to try and break the awkwardness.

“So when is the next quidditch game?” Joey asked.

To be honest, he wasn’t a too big of fan of the sport. However, he knew that Kristen loved it, considering she was captain of the team, and he was trying to make an effort.

“Our next quidditch game is not until March,” Kristen replied, “The next game that is going to be played is in February, between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor.”

“Who do you play next?” Joey asked.

“We play Slytherin. It really doesn’t matter what happens in that game though. Since we already beat Hufflepuff and Gryffindor, we’re going on to the finals no matter what. However, I really would like to beat Slytherin as well.”

“I’m sure you guys will. Their team isn’t very good this year. They barely beat Hufflepuff, and that’s saying something.”

Kristen smiled. She knew that her team was going to beat Slytherin, something that was sure to piss off the Gryffindor team even more. They still hadn’t gotten over the fact that Ravenclaw had beaten them. Oh well, it wasn’t her fault that Kailey had managed to distract Jessica during the chase for the snitch.

“Do you like the snow?” Joey asked.

“Well, it’s amazing for snowball fights, but other than that, it drives me crazy. The snowball fights make it worth it though.”

“I never pictured you for the snowball fight type of girl.”

“My brother and his friends are always at our house during the winter. If I wouldn’t come out and join in the fight, they would bring snow inside and chuck it at me. So naturally, I worked hard so I could kick their asses and make them embarrassed because they got beat by a girl.”

The two of them laughed as they headed inside. Immediately they were greeted by the warmth of the castle, which felt extremely good compared to the frigidness of outdoors.

“Come on,” Joey said, grabbing Kristen’s hand and leading her down a corridor.

“Where are we going?” Kristen asked, “Final exams are coming up! I have to study!”

“You study way too much Kristen! You need to let loose and have some fun!”

He was the one telling her to have fun after the scene that had taken place minutes before? He certainly was a bit strange. Kristen rolled her eyes.
“I actually enjoy studying, thank you very much. Besides, if I don’t study, I’m not going to do well on the exams,” she stated confidently.

“You’re the best in our year. If you miss one night of studying, you are not going to do horribly on the exams,” Joey pointed out, “Besides, they aren’t for three more weeks!”

Joey pushed aside a tapestry and pulled Kristen inside.

“Where are we?” Kristen asked, looking around the dark corridor they were now inside, “Is this some sort of passageway?”

He shoved her against the wall and pushed his lips against hers. So this was just a new snogging spot. Of course it was. That seemed like all Joey wanted to do and that kind of annoyed her. She felt more like a snog buddy then a girlfriend.

She could feel his hand making its way down her back, inching closer and closer to her butt. Not bothering to move her lips, she grabbed his arm, moving it higher up her back. It seemed like he was always trying to get farther with her. They’d only been dating for a couple weeks. She thought that he was rushing things way too fast. Besides, she wasn’t a slag.

His arm only stayed there for a minute though. Soon she could feel it creeping around towards her chest, which once again annoyed her. Couldn’t he just realize that she wasn’t comfortable with going there yet?

She pulled away from him, looking quite annoyed.

“What’s wrong babe?” Joey asked.

“You keep trying to get to second base with me,” Kristen replied.

“I don’t see what the problem with that is.”

“I don’t want to get to second base!”

“Surely you’ve gotten to second base before. Probably even farther than that.”

“Actually, I haven’t, and I don’t plan on doing that any time soon.”

Joey stared at his girlfriend in shock. This was quite a surprise. Of course he knew that she wasn’t the type of girl who would do it with anyone and everyone, but he had thought that maybe she’d gone the distance in the past. She had had a few boyfriends before. After all, this was Hogwarts, and he had found out that hardly anyone was as innocent as they seemed.

“You’re eighteen, babe,” Joey stated, “It’s time to grow up a bit. There are fourth years who’ve done more than you have. That’s kind of sad.”

“Yes, it is sad that there are people as young as fourth year doing terrible stuff. I am not a slag Joey. Never have been, and never will be. If you can’t accept that, then you better just walk away now,” Kristen replied fiercely.

He was silent for a minute. For a second, Kristen actually thought that he was just going to walk away. Instead, he took a deep breath, smiled, and looked her in the eye.

“That’s alright, babe,” Joey replied, “I can wait. I’m glad you’re not a slag.”

She smiled at him, glad that he hadn’t left. She grabbed his hand and walked out of the corridor. Hopefully, their relationship would last.