Mechanic and His Spider

He had arrived as the girl had left. He looked at the circus wondering what it had to hold for him and his sister. His poor sister who had suffered so much and now he would have to put her through so much more. Now he had to put her on display in order to keep them alive and pay his debt. He looked at her resting in the back of his truck, parts surrounding her of all his failed projects that never worked. He couldn't even get one right to save them from the hell he created. He sighed and went to the ringmasters tent to check in but he knew it was late so they might have to wait until morning.

He sat in his truck thinking about everything that had happened before a sudden knock on the door. An older man stood at the door, without hesitation he walked out to greet him. "Hello sir, how could I help you?"

"Hello my boy, you look as if something is troubling you." The older man gave the boy a smile. "I can see it in your eyes. Does it have to do with the girl back there?"

"That is my sister. I have to fix what I've done. I have to do better for her.... For us." the man looked down as he told the man.

"I see." the older man rested a hand on the man's shoulder. "Come sit with me. My name is Ethan. I'm the foreman of this circus. I'll get you a warm plate of food. My daughter would normally help me greet people... But she is currently ill." the man could tell the older man was hiding something. The way he moved seemed off. He seemed sad and hurt in a way but the man was unsure why.

"I am sorry to hear that. My name is Lucas and this is my sister Anastasia. She is currently still healing from her injuries. She will be sleeping a lot until she's better. I suppose I'll be working for you." he looked at him trying to get a gage of his new boss.

"Yes, Mrs. Aster told me about your arrival and you would need help with some of your projects." He smiled to encourage the boy.

"Do you know anything about mechanics?"

"I do. I know many things from my many years of work." he prepared the boys food. "Tell me about yourself. If you're going to work for me, I want to know who's working for me. You'll find out that everyone knows everyone."

He sat there thinking about it all trying to form the words to tell the man what hell they had gone through. "We came from some money, but...."

Years before they were born, deals were made that set their fate in motion. The day they were born, everything was planned and they had to follow it to the exact movement. They were expected to be the perfect toys for their parents. They barely taught the children anything of use. Just things to entertain the family and their guests with silly polar tricks. First one to suffer was the boy, he was forced to pretend to be a mute child that was good at chess and playing the piano. They did this so he wouldn't tell their guest anything about what happened in their home. That his mother was being abused by her husband. Or that his father was sleeping with everyone but his wife. Or that his father forced his mother to be a lady of the night.

After a few years, the boy was gifted something that made his dark world so much brighter. His mother had given birth to a little girl they had named Anastasia. The boy was to take care of the girl without much help from his parents, because his mother worked and his father refused to care. He believed the children were only there for his wife not him. The boy tried to teach his sister everything he could as soon as she was able to walk and talk. He wanted to make sure no harm ever came to his sister. She was already so sick to begin with. The poor girl was always sick and could barely have the energy to play most days.

They were completely isolated from the rest of the world until one day everything ended for them. There was a terrible fire that swept through their village killing all in its path and their home. The boy and his sister were in the woods playing, the only joy they could have was the small amount of time they were allowed out. When they returned home, everything they knew and had was all gone. They had nothing but the shell of the burnt down house. He tried to search for any signs of life but there was nothing. All they had was the old trailer they used to use for camping. Luckily the boy knew how to drive, but he was a teen no more than 15. His sister no more than 7. She was so little, he didn't know how he would ever afford to pay for everything she needed.