Prologue

ACE
2 YEARS AGO

   I hear moans and pleasured swears coming from the other side of the door. My hand hovering over the door knob of what I thought was the bathroom.
  My heart stops when I recognize those voices  from anywhere.
   I open the bedroom door to see my best friend on top of my Ellie. My girlfriend. Fucking her.
    I stand there, holding onto the doorknob, not knowing what to do as I see the only friend I've ever really had thrusting into who I thought was the love of my life.
    "Ellie?" I force out.
My girlfriend stops and looks up at me from the bed, Nathan still inside her, his arms caging her to the bed as her arms are wrapped around his neck.
   She gasps at my presence and pushes Nathan off of her. "Ace?" She stares wide eyed at me.
     My eyes gloss over. "What the hell are you doing?"
Nathan pulls away from Ellie and pulls up his pants. A smile forms on his face, a smile of betrayal, self-satisfaction, and not a hint of guilt. Then he drops the smile and masks a look of concern. "Ace, buddy, it's not what it looks like." He says, still a hint of a smile on his face.
   I look to my best friend, "Really? 'Cus it looks like you're screwing my girlfriend." I growl at him.
    My best friend of 10 years looks between me and Ellie, not knowing what to say. "I-I'm sorry man." Not of hint of sincerity in it.
I breathe out heavily, my exhale making a whooshing sound, "You're not fucking sorry." I shake my head.
   Ellie has tears streaming down her face when I turn back to her. "Ace I-I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen." She cries, buttoning the rest of the buttons on her jeans.
   I scoff as a tear escapes my eye. "Right."
I turn and walk out of the room before they can say anything else.
   "Ace!" Ellie runs after me, but I keep walking hastily out of the house, making my way through the crowds of people at this dumbass party. I shouldn't have agreed to come here. Nathan and Ellie thought that this party could take my mind off of my mother's death last month, but they were wrong. It just made it worse.
    I make it outside right before she grabs my arm and spins me towards her.
  Before she could say anything I yell, "My mother just died, Ellie, and you go and do this!?" I motion towards the house.
    Her tears are still running down her face when she says, "I know! I'm sorry! I didn't mean for this to happen, please!" She begs. "Please forgive me, I didn't mean for this to happen." She pulls on my arm.
  I pull away from her, my own tears falling down my face. "We've been together for 3 fucking years, Ellie! How could you not mean for this to happen?"
    She's hyperventilating now. "I'm sorry." She whispers.
   I shake my head, not stopping the tears from falling. "That's not enough."
  I turn and walk away. Hearing Ellie's cries, calling for me to come back.
I don't look back. I can't look back.
It's fucking blurry.
Everything is too fucking blurry.