Chapter 14

ROSE

    "You mean you guys didn't even fuck?!" Violet exclaims.
  "Oh my god! Can you keep your voice down?!" I whisper scream at her.
   Ace, Dustin and Jake were right downstairs watching the game or whatever boys do on a Wednesday night with Cameron. When I heard his deep voice booming through the house, I called Violet over right away.
"Why not?" Violet says.
I sigh heavily and cover my face with my hands, spinning around in my desk chair. She's laying across my bed as I told her what happened between me and Ace at the club the other day.
"Because I don't like him like that." I lie.
"Liar." Violet says, seeing right through me.
I groan. "I don't know Vi, I mean he's Ace Carter for crying out loud."
"Exactly." Violet laughs. "He's Ace Carter and he's into you. I have never seen him look at any other girl the way he looks at you." She smiles.
"Really?" I look up at her.
She nods her head. "Really."
I stare at the floor. I can hear Ace's laugh coming from downstairs. So perfect.
"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to force you into anything you don't want to-."
"No, Violet, you're right. I really do like him." I smile.
Her face breaks into a huge grin. "Aww! You should see yourself right now, you're so in love."
I scoff. "Let's not go too far. I've only known him for what? A couple weeks?"
Violet laughs. "Just kidding, now how about we go downstairs and say hi?" She jumps up from the bed.
I stare at her with wide eyes and shake my head rapidly. "No."
"Oh come on Rose!" She pulls at my hands, pulling me from the chair.
"I don't want to!" I drag my feet.
"Yes you do, you just don't want to admit it."
Huh. Ok is she a psychic or something?
"Wait wait wait." I pull away to go check myself in the mirror. I let my hair out of its topknot and smack some lipgloss on. I'm wearing a black tank top with white shorts that I just woke up in. Should I put on bra?
Violet wears a knowing grin at the door.
"Shut up." I tell her as I pull her hand out of the room.
As we make our way downstairs, I see the guys facing the tv, playing Cameron's favorite NBA game.
Ace is watching Cam and Dustin play with a smile on his face. Cam and Dustin are sitting together on the sofa right in front of the tv, as Ace and Jake are in the matching chairs next to it.
His smile is so gorgeous.
When we make it to the bottom of the stairs, Violet exclaims, "Hey guys!" She wears a seductive smile, drawing all their heads. They're all looking at her, except for Ace. He's looking at me.
"Hello?" Cam says.
I look away from Ace's eyes and motion to Violet. "This is Violet guys, she goes to school with us." I introduce her.
Cam pauses the game and stands up with a smirk on his face. He holds his hand up to Violet. "Nice to meet you, I'm Cameron."
Violet smiles back and takes his hand in hers. "The pleasure is mine."
What's up with the formalities?
They're hands stay clasped for a few more long seconds before they finally let go.
She greets the others except for Ace, since they pretty much already have history.
Then Violet is suddenly beside Cam on the couch, trying to understand the game as Cameron tries to teach her.
I chuckle and shake my head as Violet tries to tell the difference between the X and O on the controller, with Cam's hands covering hers, showing her how to play. Huh.
I walk back to the kitchen, through the double-swing paneled door.
I open the fridge to look for something to drink when I hear a voice from behind me.
"Got anything to drink?" Ace asks.
I look up to see him walking towards me. A smirk playing on his face. I start to breathe heavily the closer he gets until he's right next to me. I can feel my face heat up, so I look back into the fridge.
"Um, if you mean water or juice, yes I do." I say.
He laughs. "I was thinking maybe a beer?"
I suck my teeth and shake my head, looking up at him. "If you're driving, no." I smile sweetly up at him.
He holds my stare. His green eyes not backing down from mine. Then his mouth tilts up into a smirk as his eyes look down at my lips.
"Fine." He takes the bottled water from the top self. His arm brushing against mine.
I release a breath when he takes a step away from me and leans back against the kitchen island in the middle of the room. I take out my bottle of apple juice and close the fridge. I turn around to see Ace just looking at me. A tiny smile on his lips.
"What?" I breathe out. Just him being here takes my breath away.
He holds my eyes with his own.
"Nothing." He says but doesn't look away. "Wanna come over tomorrow?" He asks.
   I'm taken aback. "What?"
"I still have the notes you lended me." He covers up. "I'm guessing you want them back?" He smiles.
I took my notes on my computer and just printed them out for him. And I'm sure he knows this.
   "Sure." I say, not believing that I just agreed to it.
He grins. He knows I don't need my notes back. And he could just bring them into class the next time he saw me. I know that too, but I don't care.
   I really like him. And I'm hoping maybe he feels the same way.