Chapter thirteen

Chapter thirteen

I was having a lot of trouble figuring out what was going on. I could see Lissa, and hear her talking to me but my brain was telling me that none of that could be true. Maybe this whole day has been one big weird dream.

I sneaked a glance over at Jace. He still looked like he was in shock and like he wasn't taking in anything that Lissa was saying.

She pulled me up off the bed into a hug and over her shoulder I saw a grinning Trey leaning in the doorway.

"What are you doing here?" I finally managed to say as she pulled away from me, although she kept her hands on my shoulders as if I was about to run away.

I won't lie, the thought crossed my mind.

"We came back for your birthday," she said as if I ought to have known that.

She was tanner than the last time I'd seen her and her hair was a light blonde, bleached by the sun. A ring on her hand was biting into my shoulder and she was wearing a 'San Francisco Dungeon' t-shirt.

"Is that shirt from a club?" I asked numbly still trying to wrap my mind around what was happening.

She laughed at me and her eyes seemed to light up. "No it's this really cool interactive haunted house in San Francisco. Maybe someday I can take you there." I nodded not knowing what else to say. "Why aren't you guys at the party?" She finally asked as Trey walked into the room and wrapped an arm around her waist.

I looked back at Jace who was purposely avoiding looking at either of them.  "We were just talking," I murmured feeling as if all the progress I'd made had gone out the window.

"You missed us jumping out of a cake and screaming 'surprise'," Trey said grinning.

I shook my head finding myself smiling. "I am so deeply saddened that I missed that. You'll have to do it again."

He crossed his arms. "Do you know how much cake this involves? The answer is a lot. It takes a lot of cake to hide two people and you don't eat enough as it is." I shook my head and pushed past everyone to get out the door. "And I mean...there was no giant cake anyway so it'd be pretty hard to recreate."

I laughed and just kept walking back to the party. Jace caught my arm and pulled me back before we were surrounded by people.

"We're still going on a date aren't we?"

I could practically feel my grin stretching across my face as I perked up. "Of course." I could feel relief sweep through my body at the fact that Lissa coming home hadn't changed anything.

At least not yet.

******

Everyone had freaked out that Lissa and Trey were back. Ian had scooped Lissa up in a hug making it so her feet dangled in mid-air. She'd rolled her eyes and pretended like it wasn't such a big deal but I had seen the look in her eyes when Ian had wrapped his arms around her. It was a look of pure happiness.